Author Topic: My Gardening year so far....  (Read 2231 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
My Gardening year so far....
« on: September 03, 2006, 19:48:51 »
As i keep saying it's my first gardening year...so i've took seom pictures of the progress.

This is when i came home after a windy day to find my tomatoes blown over in the mini greenhouse. it had smashed to bits :(

When my Petunias just started out:

and this is them now:

a new heather i bought from the market. my very first one :D i love them. but it's sitting in my bedroom at the moment as i can't face going out in the wind to put it in the ground.

My Fushias last night...

The last of my tomatoes ripening in a pot on the patio:

My two pumpkins! i wake up every morning to check them and they always surprise me how much bigger they get over night:

I bought this Clematis "Dr Ruppell" from a local garden centre a few months ago and it looked pretty bad. half of it died and had loads of set back and problems but after a bit of tlc it's given me some flowers for the first time:

These gladioli i planted back in the end of may! and they're just starting to flower!

The first batch of mushrooms i pulled off the lawn. i've pulled them up 3 more times and they're still coming up. i've had buckets full of them.

My Passionflower getting used to it's new trellis:

My Passiflora Edulis seedlings in the mini greenhouse. I use wooden skewers as something for them to climb on lol. i germinated these from a fruit from the super market!

My Californian poppies putting on a great show. love 'em!

A view of my tiny garden. well it's my dad's garden. we've lived here for nearly 10 years and totally neglected it. My dad's too scared of doing anything. all he wants is grass! so hopefully when he returns at the end of this month...he may be in for a surprise.

My Passiflora when it just flowered. i sat there and watched it open. it was lovely and had a wonderful bubblegum scent. although the plant suddenly died for no reason a month later!

so yes....this is just some of it....but that's all i've bothered taking pictures off. i've loved my first gardening year. i can't wait for next year!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: My Gardening year so far....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 20:01:39 »
well done you :D, please don't loose your enthusiasm/shades x
grow your own way

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 20:02:20 »
Nice pictures _except for the first one, a bit upsetting that. i know how it feels to have the wind spoil all your hard work. Sympathies.

Might've been nice to see more. I always try to make the effort ot take a load of photos once a month to just to show how things are doing and to look back on int a few moths or maybe taht time next year for contrast.

Anyhow stick with it you are doing well. Clearly you are enjoying discovering the delights of gardening.

Dont be afraid to ask us lot for help. We are a friendlt lot here and always pleased to help beginers like yourselves. Dont worry about 'stupid questions', a lot better than 'stupid mistakes' beleive me!

Regards

GC

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 20:05:52 »
thanks guys :)

and i also want to thanks everyone on here because you've all been extremely helpfull!  :-*

yea the first picture's upsetting. not as upsetting as the picture i took of a bird on my pavement that got driven over and i found it on the way out of the house! it's awful.

but yes...good year none the less!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 20:08:12 »
my you have done well. the wind can damage everything.  My runners look  like they have been dragged through a hedge backwards. They havent blown down yet though. I must say this about ya pumpkins "what a loverly pair"
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 20:08:37 »
Hi Wahaj,

Why do your pots in the first picture still have their bottoms?, doesn't it restrict the growth of the roots into the growbag??

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 20:12:43 »
Hi Wahaj,

Why do your pots in the first picture still have their bottoms?, doesn't it restrict the growth of the roots into the growbag??

I did that with mine mike. The plants still rooted through. I am surprised wahaj's hadnt done so. they might not have blown over so easily. Might be due to different style of pot though......

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 20:37:43 »
i had pot loads of broken clay at the bottom of my pots. i do that whenever i put anything...to help with drainage. and that picture was taken only a few days after i'd them in the growbags...so they hadn't had the chance to root in them.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 20:49:44 »
Mike's asked the question that puzzled me, too....

Oh! I just loved your drift of poppies and next year? Well, you've certainly got 7 varieties coming your way so you're giving me something to look forward to, too 8)

I'm sure your Dad's going to love what you've done already.

Regards, Lishka

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 21:07:24 »
Mike's asked the question that puzzled me, too....

Oh! I just loved your drift of poppies and next year? Well, you've certainly got 7 varieties coming your way so you're giving me something to look forward to, too 8)

I'm sure your Dad's going to love what you've done already.

Regards, Lishka

you're such a sweetheart :)

but yea i've got loads and loads of different varieties now so my garden should be packed full of stuff next year!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal