Author Topic: which vinegars for pickling shallots AND for use in marrow chutney  (Read 2672 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
My shallots are just sat in the garage, not being used much, as onions are less fiddly, so decided to pickle em ... but am confused about what to do.

and I've seeen recipes using malt vinegar for marrow chutney - reckon that's ok?

i'm using white wine vinegar with me plum chutney, and wonder why they need different vinegars?

ps where's summer gone?
I will finish it, one day

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Re: which vinegars for pickling shallots AND for use in marrow chutney
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:34:40 »
Malt vinegar's fine, but cider or wine vinegar allow a bit more shallot flavour through. Shallots in sherry vinegar are also gorgeous (bit more of a kick to them).

Cider and wine vinegar also take herbs brilliantly and other extra flavourings -- I did a batch of shallots last year with sprigs of thyme bunged into the jars; they were a storming success.

The bottom line is: any vinegar (or combi thereof!) you like, so long as it's at least 5% acidity (otherwise it won't be strong enough to make crisp yummy pickles).

*drool -- pickled shallots are calling from the larder*

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:09:52 »
FL agree with triffid, just use your own favourite, I made some courgette and apple chutney earlier this year, the recipe called for malt vinegar, but used cider instead to match the apples - was yummy!
Kathi :-)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:23:28 »
when pickling shallots, do I need to do anything other than peel em - i saw recipe somewhere saying leave in salt water for a day!

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:25:53 »
Hi FL,yep you should soak the onions/shallots in a salt water solution, or in salt, preferably overnight, this removes the water from the onions which is then replaced by the vinegar when pickled

Kathi ;)
Kathi :-)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:28:58 »
I prefer any other vinegar to Malt as I find it harsh and overpowering.  I love cider vinegar and sherry vinegar.

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 14:57:09 »
Every recipe I read is different.   ??? can someone explain how I pickle shallots please. I don't understand how soaking em in salt water can get rid of the water, or how to soak something in salt - I am extremely thick, so please. use. short. words. and. sentences!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 18:41:12 »
A wee word?

YES to cider vinegar  - cheaper at the Pharmacy -  for almost everything - 5.5% or over.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 22:37:00 »
fat larry,

soaking onions in salted water is known as brining.  The ratio should be 2oz salt, to 1 pint of water to 1 lb of onions.  The salt should be dissolved in the water and the onions added to the brine solution, and left for 24 hours.

At the end of this time they should be drained, rinsed and packed into the jars they are intended to be stored in.  The jars should then be filled with vinegar, whether manufacturer spiced, unspiced, or vinegar you have spiced yourself.  As I have said you can add a couple of dried chillies to the jars to give then a bit of added spiciness.

When in comes to vinegar, obviously malt is the cheapest.

But when you've done a batch, you can then experiment.  See what you like and what suits you best.  Some people prefer spicy pickled onions, some prefer sweet.

I think that's the beauty of 'home-made'.  You make the things to your own taste.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal