Author Topic: some advice on dogs and cats please!  (Read 1723 times)

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
some advice on dogs and cats please!
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:30:29 »
I (I'm now starting to regret it) agreed to look after my friend's guide dog while he's away this weekend - she's a very large Alsatian, very well behaved (but does whine and barks a bit) but my two cats are absolutely terrified of her - to the extent that they won't even come into the garden (i just managed to coax one of them onto the fence but she was visibly trembling - even though the dog was safely locked up in the house!) - they haven't been in for any food, and the food I left outside for them hasn't been touched.

I've got the dog until Sunday evening and don't want my cats to think I've abandoned them

can any dog/cat people out there suggest anything?

yours (very guiltily)

Fran

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: some advice on dogs and cats please!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:53:22 »
I have a similar problem when visiting dogs come to stay. Last weekend I managed to grab the cat after dark (she was hungry) and put her in the spare room with food,litter tray,etc. There she stayed 'till the dog went home. She had lots of attention and seemed quite happy.
Keep on trying to persuade them home,I'm sure you've done the food rattling etc. I bet they aren't too far away,(probably watching from the shrubbery)and cats do seem to survive without too much trouble. Just as long as they know you're there, and they can hear you calling. I'm sure all will be well.
Smile, it confuses people.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:00:09 »
I have a similar problem when my Mum's dog comes to visit. she's a total hooligan and the cat hates her. I do what Emaggie does & shut her in the spare room for the duration.

Is there anyway that you could take the dog out of the house for a while so that the cats think it's gone for good. You could then try and persuade them to come home, shut them somewhere safe and then bring the dog back.

If not, like Emaggie says, as long as you keep calling them and putting out food, the cats will know that you haven't abandoned them, and stick around. Can you put the food up somwhere off ground level, like on an outside table? Then they'd feel safer eating it as it's easier for them to keep watch for the dog. At least it's not too cold for them to be outside at the moment.

Good luck.

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:48:49 »
thnak you!

I did manage to find one of them and got her to eat something (I'm hoping she'll tell the other one I still love her) and I've now moved their bowls to the garden table (good tip) - I've taken the dog for a very long walk so it's now collapsed with exhaustion and not so bouncy so I'm hoping they'll sense the calm! - and I will keep calling them

thanks for your support - good to feel there's people out there to help!

Fran

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 20:11:19 »
thanks for your help - the lovely dog has gone now - one cat has been in, eaten and seen the coast is clear so hopefully she'll spread the news that peace has been restored!

I do like dogs but I've decided I'm more of a cat person - cats seem to be free spirits somehow, whereas dogs are "owned" and have their lives controlled by humans in a way that cats don't. I always thought I'd like a dog (and I did get quite attached to this one) but am not so sure now that I want to be in control of an animal in that way - funny init?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 22:07:52 »
  Glad peace is nearly restored in your cat kingdom Fran. I did wonder if all was well now.
Always had (rescue) dogs, and always been very lucky with temperament,etc. Especially the GSD. he was an ex prison dog and right from the start he was mine.Excellent breed if the temperament is right.
Trust on both sides is important I think(though I would never trust ANY dog 100%.)
Can't say I've ever felt that our dogs have been controlled by us, but you are right, Fran, they must be!We do enjoy them and they have all seemed happy enough, but then we enjoy walking which is what they like best,next to eating ;D. Pusscats,however,call all the shots, don't they.We are allowed to join in when required.Can't imagine my house without either.
Smile, it confuses people.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:52:54 »
Was wondering how you'd got on. Good to hear it all went ok & that the cats are considering a return. Will they make you feel guilty like mine does by shouting at you loudly and complaining about how horrid you were to let a dog in "their" house?

I do know what you mean about dogs. My new puppy totally looks to me for direction as to what to do next and how to spend her time. She follows me everywhere & watches me. Even when she has a rest it has to be right next to me if she can get that close. I suppose it's because dogs have pack leaders and are naturally attuned to being "subservient" to a higher authority. Cats, on the other hand, quite clearly think "who the h*ll do you think you are missus", and are happy to do their own thing.

I do love dogs, I've always had them as a child but then my Mum was "pack leader" so now it's a little tiring to be the constant focus of such adoration! I keep worrying that I'll get it wrong! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal