Author Topic: Lino cabbage fly protectors  (Read 3946 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Lino cabbage fly protectors
« on: April 04, 2004, 22:21:56 »
Okay, have lino, wanna make brassica collars.  Advice please?  Never done before so don't want to end up with the lino cutting all of my brassicas in half as the stems get larger!

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Lino cabbage fly protectors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 10:55:31 »
Not sure of this is going to help, but I have bought some from one of the gardening catalogues. They are pretty good value you get 30 for somewhere around £2.50.
Ill try and describe it. Its circular in shape and around 75mm in diameter. In the middle there is a cross shape cut out which is around 20mm from end to end. From one of the ends of the cross, a cut has been made with a slight curve to it, which goes to the edge.This allows it to be taken apart and put round the plant.
The material is described as biodegradeable. Its a sort of papery/thin cardboard type of material.
Lino can have quite sharp edges, so it might not be the best material to use.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 12:08:50 »
Poo!  Thats what I was afraid of.  >:( Some of the lino is new and very soft, I might try some with and some without.  Noone on the site used them last year so I don't know if it is a prblem, but I don't want all of my hard growing ruined.

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 14:51:22 »
Yes, I can understand that about not wanting to lose your plants. One of the other alternative materials I have read about is a carpet underlay type of material. Which is pretty soft and forgiving and would allow for the growth of the plant. I think that is the other thing I would be slightly worried about with the lino is that would it restrict the growth? Lino is fairly tough and robust and wouldnt expand that easily. Perhaps one of the more experienced folks out there can help?

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 16:16:46 »
Roofing felt underlay, is more or less the same as the real thing.

Much more pliable than lino which tends to go hard when cold, so may not move with the plant growth.

Is any one building houses in your area? you might be able to salvage some offcuts.

The Gardener

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 18:04:09 »
I've not done this!  But another way of doing the lino would be to cut a circle, with a 1 inch (more?) hole cut in the centre.

Cut the disk in half, and overlap the two halves round the base of the plant.  As it grows fatter, it simple moves the half disks apart?

Just an idea - :)

All best, Gavin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 18:38:12 »
ooooooooooooo Gavin, I like it I like it.  Good thinking Batman!  ;D Might give that a go.  We have some roofing felt for the new shed roof, if we can ever get babysitters so we can get up to the plot and construct the thing, so any off cuts will be put to good use.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 19:32:51 »
I have been meaning to send you this EJ.

I think its what the others are getting at.

It can be either round or square what ever is easier for you, and I am sure the 'root fly' are not going to bother what shape it is ;D

The Gardener

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 21:37:18 »
I would think that there are a couple of potential problems with the idea of cutting the disc in half.
1/ If there is any sort of wind about then one-half is liable to get blown away.
2/ When you move the two pieces together you are going to create an oval shape. So when you put this round the plant stem you will end up with two gaps either side. Small/big enough for the root fly to get into?

Cheers for now

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 12:49:48 »
Oh Gary, there always has to be a practical one doesn't there!  I shall have to experiment and see what works the best.  Thanks for the piccy Gardener, food for thought.  ;D

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 13:13:47 »
How about using the foam underlay you use for underneath laminate flooring . Its soft and easy to cut with sissors and it has no sharp edges im sure that it is supple enough to move as the plant develops. it would also insulate around the plant.

Just a thought

Regards

Alan

::) ::)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 17:40:51 »
I have used offcuts of butil pond liner very successfully for some years now,when they are in place around the stem of the plant,cover them with some soil to stop them blowing away.They can be re-used if you soak them in hot water and leave them an hour or two on a flat surface....alan.g
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal