Author Topic: Tool for clearing grass, weeds etc - suggestions?  (Read 3132 times)

MattD

• Quarter Acre
Tool for clearing grass, weeds etc - suggestions?
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:20:04 »
Hi folks,  I'm looking for advice again.

I'm clearing more of my plot   ;D which is covered with weeds, 18" grass, tiny plum saplings and low brambles.  :'(

Is there a good hand tool for just scything it off (and I'm not sure a scythe will do it as it's not just grass) so I can rake it all up to compost.

I bought a machete from ebay and it's a frightening looking weapon but doesn't cope with the soft flexible stuff I need to remove.

Any recommendations?  I've seen loads of things for sale in magazines but would prefer a personal recommendation from the forum before I splash out on something else which doesn't work.

Matthew

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: Tool for clearing grass, weeds etc - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:37:44 »
yes! i'd like to know aswell! it's my first year and i'm scared to even go down and look at my plot. it's so high in weeds...i start digging them up...the minute i get to the next patch the first patch is starting to grow weeds again! i'd just like to chop it all down and put fabric over it or something.

i would like a scythe though!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 12:45:42 by wahaj »

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 12:42:34 »
Have bought other things from this company, although not a scythe, but have found them pretty reliable. I see they do a scythe and something called a dashel basher and also a slasher!
http://www.ascott.biz/cat53_1.htm

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 13:44:12 »
I use a grass hook all the time; it's cheap and efficient as long as it's kept razor sharp. Get a sharpening stone as well if you don't have one already, and use it every time you use the tool (which is a good rule anyway). just watch your hands when sharpening!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 13:54:25 »
I've got a scythe (which Greyhound gave me ) its excellant.

I cleared a track about 200m long and about 3m wide at the weekend with it, took about 3 hours.. Full of stingers, hogweed, burdocks and docks, it cut through the lot with no problems - I did keep sharpening it every now and then.

I'll take a picture of it and the track when i get my camera phone sorted.

Some b*astard let thier dog sh*t on my lottie at the weekend, i got it all on my jeans without knowing till i got home  >:( - shoved the jeans straight in the washing machine without checking the pockets, quite amazing what a hot wash and spin can do to a Ericsson K750i...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 14:27:29 »
Is a scythe any good for getting into corners? I'm tempted, but I don't have much grass, and I could see it doing a bit in the middle and no more.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 15:01:05 »
Is a scythe any good for getting into corners? I'm tempted, but I don't have much grass, and I could see it doing a bit in the middle and no more.

Its ok, but you do need to swing it quite a bit - so if theres crops or a fence you do'nt want to hit, then use a hook. It is really quick though...and you dont feel as sore as you do after using a hook. If the weeds are really tall (ie 5ft stingers) it's much better than a hook, the weeds tend to keep falling on top of you using a hook.

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 15:06:30 »
Oh keef, what a mess!  :( People are just you know whats, aren't they.
As for tools Matt, one tool I wish we'd had when we started was an azada. www.get-digging.co.uk
They sort everything out quickly but you need a rake to make everything smooth afterwards. Also useful for large-scale weeding or really terrible weeds like horseradish. Of course, nothing ever really gets rid of horseradish but it makes it easier to control. Whack whack... we use it all the time now.
This year it's squash.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 18:42:11 »
The tool & track

I did go over it with a mower on a high setting after, to tidy it up a bit more, but you get the picture.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 18:59:01 »
oh wow! i want one now!!!  :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 19:03:41 »
A sharp riphook works a lot better with a crooked stick. A bit of an art to master but  if you have plenty of scrub to practice on you will soon get it cleared.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 20:23:34 »
I've got a scythe (which Greyhound gave me)

For helping me clear out one of me sheds, thirty years worth of inherited junk and worse.  Still got the big shed to do .... wonder what we'll find in there?!

All keef needs now is a long black hooded cloak ...  :o  those chavs and their dogs better watch their step   ;D

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 21:36:52 »
I actually found an old scythe buried in the brambles back in april, presumably the previous plotholder was a bit slow and was overcome by fast growing weeds.  Unfortunately the blade was pretty much rusted away and the handle looked pretty rotten(not like keef's rather space age model )  I was also led to believe that there was quite a technique to using it which rather deterred me.

As for azada's, I got myself a grubbing mattock from screwfix which is almost the same thing but without the exotic glamour.  It works a treat on pretty much all the soil, from gentle chopping with one hand to turn it over and dig out couch grass roots through to mighty great swings to hack out football sized bramble roots.  A fork lasted about 30 minutes before I bent one of the tines and a spade just didn't make it through all the roots.

I'd strongly recommend a mattock for anyone who needs to break up soil and remove whatever lies below.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 23:11:24 »
 ;D

Seconded on the mattock! I borrowed one last year and it saved me hours of painful digging. This year it has been a godsend on new plot with couch etc. It is relatively easy to go through the resulting clumps of soil and pull all the roots out after.

;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal