Author Topic: Best place to grow Carex Pendula  (Read 1751 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Best place to grow Carex Pendula
« on: September 01, 2006, 10:10:57 »
Can anyone tell me the best position/soil for carex pendula. I grew some from seed this year, and am now looking to plant some out his autumn. I have an area under some large pine trees that is effectively dry shade, and was thinking that some of the carex would look good there. Would they do OK there, or do they need damper soi than this?

Thanks

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Best place to grow Carex Pendula
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:05:00 »
You do realise that they are one of thr worst possible weed seed thugs there is don't you?
Dry shade may reduce their vigour enough to be less of an invasive species, but I doubt it.
They are normally found in damp sunny positions in the wild.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:05:28 »
But they are attractive weeds though eric. Attractive evergreen foliiage, and of course the flower heads (sorry 'Inflorecences'). I asume its just the seeding that can be a problem, so maybe deadheading is an option?

Just shows one mans weed is anothers nice plant. Plants like forget me nots and nigella are weeds in my garden, yet to many they are a nice garden plants!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 18:32:43 »
I know that stuff; I used to find it growing in damp spots on the moors. Each to his own; it's not unattractive but I wouldn't plant it!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 11:44:24 »
I know that stuff; I used to find it growing in damp spots on the moors. Each to his own; it's not unattractive but I wouldn't plant it!

I just thought i'd try it. i had some seed (from RHS seed distribution scheme), so i thought 'Why not?' If i dont like it or it begins to take over I'll scrap it and try womthing else. I thought it would be just the thing to give me some height in a wilder area of my garden, as its lookig a bit bare and flat at the moment.

Just a thought: if its such a weed why would the RHS include it in its seed distribution schem or even grow it in one of its gardens? Answer me that! (perhaps its a tamer form than the one you are talking about).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal