Author Topic: More spring flowers in my garden  (Read 2145 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
More spring flowers in my garden
« on: March 30, 2004, 18:38:23 »
Okay, impressed by gardeners and others pics, thought I would share what is in flower today in my little garden.

My white dicentra in flower.
 Can't remember techy name for this, I only know it as Jews mallow.  Bright yellow pompoms in flower right into the summer.
gggrrr...of course I can't think for the life of me what this little one is called!  Taken from as a cutting from my gramps garden, now doing its thing nicely.
Hyacinth.  Not mine, planted my previous owners and it stands all alone.
Mahonia, one of my faves.  The scent is knock out but boy is it spikey!
 A white snakes head doodar....fritillaria (sp?).  Success, there are 2 from a bag of 10, oh well, it's a start.  
Bergenia or Elephants ear.  Gorgeous again right into the summer and beyond.  
Forget me nots just starting to flower.  Grown in memory of Avas grandad - they were his fave.
The primroses just keep getting bigger and bigger!
Pulmanaria or lung wart, great little ground cover plant seeds itself all over my garden, and I love the way it has blue and pinkey flowers all on the same plant.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:More spring flowers in my garden
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 18:50:42 »
Lovely photos EJ.  Second one looks like a Kerria to me and could the third one be a Viburnum?  You are lucky with your primroses. The last batch of cold weather here has ruined alot of mine, also the pansies.  
Happy gardening all...........Pat

jethro

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 20:40:20 »
Third one a skimmia?

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 21:30:49 »
Yes Jethro - it is a Skimmia I think.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 22:00:32 »
Hi Emma Jane - if I can't eat it, I won't grow it; sorry!

But Jew's Mallow?  Tell me more?  What are the leaves like?

I wonder if it's the same as the Egyptian moulokhia - and if it is, some wonderful soups on the way.  My mouth is watering already!

All best, Gavin

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 18:48:36 »

The first one here is a Skimmia and the second is a Viburnum.
Look at your flowers when they are open, the Skimmia petals are separate, like a star but the Viburnum flowers have joined up petals.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 22:37:55 »
OKay, thanks you clever peeps.  A skimmia it is.  Still only wee, but wonderful and evergreen, which Ava loves.  The yellow pompoms are Kerria, and I know it can be pushy, but it is okay where it is, it grows through an aucuba (bet I have spelt that wrong again....sorry Eric) so the bush looks like it has a bright yellow mohawk haircut!  

Thanks for all the nice things you have said about my gardy and lottie.  I am pash about both.  Always been a pash for me since I was a child, but have only really had my gramps who shares my love - now there is Ava and you lot.  Makes me so happy you know....oooo...gushing now.....  :-\

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 22:50:45 »
Lovely EJ. Second pic definetly kerria (japonica?)

My primroses are loking good now too. Strangest thing is the best ones are tucuked away in the most awkward of places. Typical!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal