Author Topic: Robin nest  (Read 1804 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Robin nest
« on: March 20, 2007, 00:45:21 »
Hi,

Two days ago we found a pair of robins in our garage and then yesterday a beautiful little nest with five perfect eggs sitting in it. A real joy to see, but now we've shut the garage door (they come in and out through the open window) and we don't plan on disturbing them again. Here's the slight problem, in my efforts to research on the web the egg-cycle and how long before they'll leave the nest, I came across this on the bbc site:

'For the next three weeks the fledglings are cared for by their parents, with the male taking on the main role of carer while the female prepares for the next brood. On average, robins have two broods a year, sometimes three and rarely will they have four broods. Once the last brood of fledglings have flown the nest, the robins will go their separate ways.'

Does this mean that the female robin will lay more eggs in the same nest as soon as the fledglings take to the skies? According to that site, we could be stuck out of the garage for a few months! Better get used to long grass.  :)

nippie

• Acre
Re: Robin nest
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 13:55:36 »
Aaaaw a small price to pay though for the privilage of being foster parents to such lovely creatures :)
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 15:21:16 »
Robins become very tame and trusting so there should be no problem occasionally going into the garage to get the mower or anything else.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 18:58:21 »
I've had blackbirds, wrens and wasps in my shed all at the same time, and none of them took any notice of me at all!

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 18:59:32 »
I know that can become quite tame but I'm not so sure this applies when they have young to look after, too? Every time we went in, the mother flew off her eggs and hid in the garage, I'd hate to think we'd scare her away permanantly from the nest. It's right near the door so they must get a bit of a fright each time we go in, they seem quite troubled.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 21:30:52 »
Lovely to read about the next and eggs.  Do let us know what happens... I hope that they are successful in raising a brood or two

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:51:03 »
Try putting down some bird food each time you go into the garage.  My local robins have realised that I put caterpillers & grubs on the open path when I garden so they arrive when I'm about & scoff what's offered.  Food should help them de-stress whenever you are about.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 19:47:14 »
The robin's have adopted you, they'll get used to your coming and going.
Start off by quietly entering the garage, stay just a few seconds. Gradually extend the time. In a short time they will just do as you should do, ignore each other.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal