Author Topic: outdoor sowing/planting best time?  (Read 1771 times)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
outdoor sowing/planting best time?
« on: April 04, 2004, 10:24:36 »
I was going to plant out some onions I had raised in modules and sow some seeds this weekend carrots/chard. But the weather has been lousy so I decided to delay for a bit.
I have read stuff about min. soil temp. should be 7c/45f and that delayed sowings will often as not overtake the earlier sowings. Now the weather in the UK is a bit tempermental so ideal conditions never really exist. I live in Surrey so it does get warmer a bit quicker round here though. So I was wondering what conditions would you not sow/plant in the plot. And on less than perfect occasions is there anything that you would do to give the sowing/planting a better chance.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:outdoor sowing/planting best time?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 10:45:37 »
As I see it, planting is no problem. So long as the things are properly hardened off - no worry.

Sowing is obviously a bit different. Yes, 40F is often quoted as the bottom line, and it's easy to take the soil's temperature. But, so often, one is persuaded by the Spring sun, and the condition of the seedbed, to get on with it. And, of course, covering the bed with a black fabric can soon warm it up.
But don't put all  your eggs in one basket?? = Tim

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 11:12:09 »
Very sound advice Tim,.......the word patience always springs to my mind at this time of year when asked that question.

The Gardener

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 17:18:23 »
Yes, I think I made the mistake of sowing some parsnips seeds last week. I have sowed all the rows that I intended to grow. I reckon that doing several sowings when conditions are better could be the way to go. I wouldnt say the information on the seed packet is incorrect, but they do tempt you to sow from March onwards. I would guess that realistically you must have some sort of protection to do this? As a first time allotment holder you have to hold back on your natural instinct to want to get things moving! As you say patience could be the key word!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 18:18:01 »
Not so much protection - for most things - rather soil warmth & moisture. Protection, yes - if plants are going to suffer frost damage when they show through. And remember that certain things will normally only do what they are supposed to do at certain times of the year. And the 'sowing bracket' usually reflects the stated 'harvesting bracket'.
As has been said, if you want to beat the gun, do save seeds for the recommended time? = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal