Author Topic: pineapple top  (Read 2412 times)

ACE

• Hectare
pineapple top
« on: August 27, 2006, 13:05:30 »
I had a very tasty freshish pineapple yesterday, I cut the top off and put it in a tray of water.Will it root or am I wasting my time.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: pineapple top
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 13:51:56 »
I believe Emma Jane has had success doing just that, I'm sure she posted a piccy last year. 8)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 20:33:36 »
I've been trying for many many time. And it don't work >:(
a few weeks ago on radio 4 gardening question time was about Pineapple. I have follow all the instructions. Now it look like it growing! :)

What you have to do:
1. First choose the one with all the green leaves with no yellow on it
2.Twisted it off NOT cut it off.
3. Taken some of the bottom leaves off. Then can some sparm(like root) . Keep pulling leaves till see the sparrow(slibing root) like 1” long showing . Then leave it to dry for a week. Then put it in a pot. Leave it to root. Sunny windowsill .
4. Year One Taken it when Autumn keep it warm. With no water needed maybe only a bit to wet the soil. Will survived.
5. Bring it out when weather getting warm in Spring. New shoot started to show. Maybe 1’ tall new pot needed.(10-12” size pot)
6. Year Two Keep it dry in winter again.
7. Bucket size (2-3 foot across) pot needed. Then you can see 6-7 flowers(red/purple).No needed pollinated.3-6 month later. Flowers should be formed. 6-8 fruits per plant. It will swell turning yellow.
Hope you can understand what I mean ACE;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 20:53:45 »
Sounds about right Yuet.  Tis what I do - twist head, remove 4 or 5 rings of leaves, leave to dry, pot into free draining compost, water when you remember, watch it grow.  Slow to start, but once it gets going, WOW!  Mine that fruited shoot out baby plants which are now at mature size and I was hoping for fruit this year, but it is a bit late, so maybe next year.  My others range from 6 months to 3 years old, and again, hoping the older monsters will fruit next year.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:04:01 »
Right, I have taken it out of the saucer, stripped the bottom leaves, found the little nodules and am leaving it to dry, I shall pot it about wed/thurs. Thanks for your help  Yuet and EJ.

Rum at the ready for pina colado 8)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 22:35:13 »
EJ,
I was wonder where do you keep them monsters in winter?Outside /inside ???
Where do you found that big area to keep them ??? I'm worry now where shall I keep them over winter ???Do you have a pictures of them now?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 23:46:07 »
I will take some pics Yuet - I keep mine in the conservatory all year round.  They are far to big and spiky for me to move alone!  I would loose an eye!!

Ace, I shall bring the cocktail brollies!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal