Author Topic: Aubergine size  (Read 970 times)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
Aubergine size
« on: August 24, 2006, 14:55:59 »
I have my first ever aubergines!  :)

The two largest are about 5 inches long.  Should I pick them now, or leave them a little longer?  There are 3 or 4 more coming along on the same plant.  Variety is Moneymaker.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Aubergine size
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 16:33:58 »
they will stay on the plant for a while if you need more than 2 to cook with - depends on the recipe you are going to use

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 17:49:42 »
Oh lucky you!! Here in SPain my aubergines have just finished (Black Beauty) if you pick them young when the colour is even and shiny they are soooooooo juicy, but you've missed the boat when they turn dull. Amazing difference between shop bought ones! Enjoy!

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 18:06:22 »
if you pick them young when the colour is even and shiny they are soooooooo juicy, but you've missed the boat when they turn dull.

They're still shiny ... can anyone tell me if Moneymaker typically grow much larger before sailing time?!

I don't need to wait for the others, calendula, I just have no idea when they are at their best.  This is my first plant (a swop); will probably have a go at raising my own next year.

carolinep

• The Eglu has landed
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 17:06:51 »
The aubergines in our greenhouse are sort of finger shaped, not sure on the variety. Having a bit of a problem with slugs having a chomp on them!!

Is there any way I can stop these little blighters?  As they are making nice tunnels down into the aubergines to live in  ::)
Shame really as they (the aubergines not slugs) are very tasty in mousakka.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 22:43:27 »
Are your fingers Brinjal Hybrids ? we grew those very well, this year have lots of pale roundish ones... I have a few spares out in the allotment frame almost in fruit... keeping fingers crossed..
 8)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:33:42 »
Oh well, I shall pick them tomorrow then, unless anyone tells me different.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 09:22:50 »
Does anyone grow 'Diamond' from the Real Seed Company? I've got a few fruits on mine despite making a real mess of growing them. The website suggests picking at six inches; is this about right?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal