Author Topic: Onions like baby's bottoms  (Read 4451 times)

KeithR

• Not So New ...
Onions like baby's bottoms
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:04:04 »

Hi all,

While at the lottie the other day and bemoaning the fact that I had lifted my onions the day before we were told it was going to rain a lot one of the ladies on the adjoining plot told me of the way she stores hers. I was wondering if anyone had heard of it and has any experiences to share.

After harvesting, do not leave to dry for more that a couple of days, cut off the roots and all but 4" of stem then peel off all the papery skin until you are down to bare onion. Rub the onion with Johnsons baby powder ( apparently it has to be baby powder but I don't know why) store in a suitable cool dark dry place and in 4 weeks the onions will have a beautiful, shiny brown skin. After this time they can be stored in whichever method you want. ( I prefer stringing).
I was told that the onions keep better this way so I did mine in the rain on Thursday, I will keep you informed.

There is a bonus in that with the baby powder you don't that strong onion smell that seems to last for ages on your hands.

KeithR

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Onions like baby's bottoms
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:47:24 »
 :o

Talc???? On food????????

Not sure about that, report back Keith?!

;)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 16:36:34 »
crikes - give me the smell of onions anyday  :)

you might change your mind Keith if you care to research what goes into talcum powder even if it is meant for babies bottoms

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 18:45:53 »
I remember reading about how to prepare onions for showing, and talc figured in there somewhere too ???

Sherwood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 21:37:58 »
But I've got dozens of onions - lirfe is too short to rub talc into them - I just shove them into tights and hang them up

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 11:03:32 »
We plaited ours and pick of the size/condition that warrants using first.  It also looks like I know what I'm doing down the plot...!   :o;D ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 21:07:03 »
Can you still get talc for babies? My daughters yelled at me when I proposed using some. Apparently it gets into their lungs and makes them desperately ill.

Glad I didn't know that when they were babies.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 17:28:31 »
I believe major changes have been made in the production/manufacture of baby powder since 'scarey findings' were published about what it can & has done to people - talcum poweder in general, not just baby talc.

It should apparently be kept away from all orifices of the body.....can't remember why exactly.

I've used it occasionally in the very hot weather but am careful where I put it :o

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 18:50:17 »
There's a page on it here: http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104144&catId=100512&tid=100008&p=1 . It sounds as though it might be best avoided, but then it must have been put on a fair few million babies without harming them.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 20:27:24 »
Most of us, I would imagine.
Smile, it confuses people.

KeithR

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 11:29:28 »
In a previous life I was a member of the an underwater search unit (frogman) and we sprayed talc all over the place to help us get into our rubber and later neoprene suits. It doesn't seem to have done any of us any harm but maybe its too soon to tell.

Back to the onions I checked them yesterday and the stalks are drying out a treat and there does seem to be a sheen on the outer surface. I had planned to peel off the layer that I put the talc on before eating them though just to be on the safe side.

KeithR

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 14:25:08 »
Sorry for not reporting back sooner on this but medical matters have kept me away from the allotment as well as the forum.

I have just checked the onions and have found the following Pros & Cons with the talc method

Pros : - Having to check and dust each onion meant that I weeded out ALL the suspect onions so storage should be better.
When the baby powder is wiped off, the skin underneath is a superb colour and it shines up a treat. A definite bonus if they are for shows.

Cons : - It isn't half time consuming removing all the outer skin then powdering the onions.
When it comes time to use the onions the single layer of skin that is left is very crisp and a pain to peel.

Opinion : - Whilst it doesn't appear to effect the taste and usability of the onion, unless you are going to show the bulbs there are a lot more useful allotmenting things that I could be doing with the time it takes.

KeithR

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 17:31:30 »
Definitely just string them up, now in shed thanks to OH's efforts

8)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 19:47:34 »
thanks for the comments keith, now we know! 8)
love that picture dad :-*

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 20:16:30 »
Now we know who the Head Gardener really is Saddad. ;D
Neat bit of onion plaiting there,they look very professional.
Smile, it confuses people.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 08:26:48 »
How do you do that please?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal