Produce > Wildlife forum

Guess what I saw today?

<< < (2/4) > >>

tim:
Funny how scarce the t-ts are? Only 3-4 years ago, they were around here in flocks. Now we just get one or two up from the village, where they frequent the river.

Goldfinch, Nuthatch, Greenfinch, Treecreeper, Jenny Wren, Bullfinch, Robin, Sparrows, Jackdaws, Chaffinches, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons the size of flying-boats - but no Woodpecker yet, and very few Starlings. = Tim

Oh, and one thrush!

Gardengirl:
I think the starlings are all here in Herts with me Tim.  Loads of them all on the grass verges.  When our elderberry tree has its fruits they kick up a heck of a row all munching away.  Mind you I then get elderberry cr*p all over my car >:(

Mrs Ava:
... and the t*ts are in our garden, masses of them.  ;D

Heard a woodpecker whilst I was lottie-ing it on Friday, but am yet to see one this year.

Hugh_Jones:
Please don`t mention woodpeckers, EJ.  I`ve had to take 3 t*t nesting boxes apart and make new fronts for them simply because our resident woodpecker decided to enlerge the holes.  When he started on the first we thought they were going to nest in it, but, having ruined the first box, he then went on to another, and then a third, then nested somewhere else (we know that because the whole family came back to ravage the nut cages later on).

The really bad news is that my wife found a dead Little Owl in our woodland on Sunday.  It was heavily entangled in debris from a pine tree branch which had landed nearby.  We can only assume that the branch had broken during the gale ten days ago and somehow caught the owl, but didn`t actually drop until last Saturday night - it certainly hadn`t been there on Saturday morning.

SueT:
Oh that`s so sad about the Owl, I`m very fond of owls they`re lovely birds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version