Author Topic: Help my toms are not ripening!!  (Read 1219 times)

taz_iii

Help my toms are not ripening!!
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:27:40 »
Morning

Help, what can i do to help my toms ripen.

i have grown Gardeners Delight for the last 5 years and never had any problems with them, until this year that is.  I have six plants covered in toms and they are all still green.  How can i help them along a bit so that they catch up with the iced gems and cucumbers otherwise it will be a very green salad and the cupboards will be full of green tom chutney ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Help my toms are not ripening!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:42:45 »
When did they ripen in previous years? Are they indoors or out? I haven't got GD, but a about half of my outdoor varieties haven't ripened yet.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 10:51:48 »
We've got 1 red tomato on a total of 15 different outdoor plants!

We're on holiday in France for first two weeks in September so that is when they will all ripen then fall off!
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:12:39 »
It's a funny year?

We have 28 indoors and, while we've had a steady pick since late June, there has been no 'glut' - as in most years - when we could put them out for sale. Our biggest pick has been 4-5lb!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:17:08 »
 link=topic=23674.msg232833#msg232833 date=1156414359]
It's a funny year?

We have 28 indoors and, while we've had a steady pick since late June, there has been no 'glut' - as in most years - when we could put them out for sale. Our biggest pick has been 4-5lb!
[/quote]

perhaps we should call you 'tom' instead of 'tim'  ;D

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:40:08 »
Mine have just started, which actually would be about right as i was a month late planting them.

I have one yellow tumbler  ;)   Whoohooo !!!    ;D

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

taz_iii

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 09:55:03 »
The plants are all outside, i have cut off a lot of the leaves so as the sun can get to them.   I have heard that hanging a banana skin off them works so i will give that a try this weekend. 

Over previous years i have had tomatos throughout august and definately had some at this time of year for birthday BBQ over the Bank Holiday weekend.   

Hopefully they will start turning soon otherwise i will have to go out there and tell them dirty jokes to make them blush!!  ;)

Lazy Daisy

• Quarter Acre
  • Where's the sun gone
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 16:16:30 »
Have tried the banana trick, (see my thread about unripe toms). It does not appear to work. Back to the drawing board
Enthusiastic Amateur, hopefully quick learner

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal