Author Topic: Wildlife garden  (Read 2007 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Wildlife garden
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:33:13 »
My son wants to creat a "wild" garden. I've plenty room at the allotment for him to have one. Thought I could sneak a couple of vegetables in his garden anyway?!

What do you reckon would be a manageable size for an eight year old?

I've got an old sink for a small pond and can rob some aeration plants from the small sink pond at home.

Ideas please ?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Wildlife garden
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:08:47 »
Don't make it to big, I remember as a 10 year old I wanted to grow ' things ' so I got some wood and built some fencing around a piece of ground in our back garden, this piece of ground was bare earth that wasn't being used in any way, my father, rather than let me get on with it, removed the fencing and said I could have the whole of the left hand side of the garden. Too big, too scary, I walked away and didn't get back to gardening for another 25 years. Ask him to mark out the area he wants, let him have that and reserve a couple of more feet for him should he wish to expand later.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:28:15 »
you could make him (and let him help) a living hazel 'secret cave' - just stick in live hazel twigs and shape to size/shape

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:12:57 »
I'd start with about five yards square and leave room to expand....
 ???

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 15:21:14 »
Thankyou.

Good thoughts about the size. I don't want to frighten him off. Was very surprised that he asked to do it to be honest.

Earlier this year I gave him some french marigolds to plant as he wished and also some calendula seeds. He arranged the marigolds in an odd fashion but it looks really good as they've bulked up. He sowed the calendula seeds outside his sister's wendy house. They have gone bonkers! He seems really proud of them so I'm hoping he may have caught the bug...well plants/flowers anyway...he hates vegetables!

Calendula, the hazel is a great idea. Think he might go for that as his sister has her own little hide away which too small for him to share.

What about plants?  I've a few ideas but theres bound to be some I haven't thought about.  I've got some ox eye daisy seeds for starters.  I know he wants a butterfly bush...I'm thinking "Oh no my cabbages!" Thought some herbs might be useful. I think he wants to attract frogs hence the pond thing.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 15:36:24 »
What about plants? 

Fast growing, easy maintenance and anything with thorns to go at the back of his ' hideaway ' to keep the ' Indians ' out. Plants that attract wildlife and a bush where he can hide his bits under in a tupperware container. A fruit bush even.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 19:39:36 »
Aw Mike I think you should come and do it for him,you seem to be right on the ball with what he needs  :)  Thankyou.  :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 21:04:55 »
Come on, all women know that men don't grow up, as my OH says there's a little kid hiding inside me and by inference this applies to all men. Sometimes, strange as it may seem I detect a note of despair in her voice, nah that can't be true, can it?? ;D ;D ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 21:18:27 »
Definately some fast growing things to start him off  Heldi.  Maybe some long canes to make a hideout with an old sheet  wrapped around like a teepe!!.His own small watering can of course make sur it has a rose for the seeds Hahaha!!.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 18:33:30 »
How about some 'pitcher plants'? I know they'll only grow outside in the summer and you'll have to bring them in, but Alfie was MOST interested in them in my dad's garden! Gruesome little boy  ;D (Alfie, not my dad!)

He loved the waterlillies on the pond as well - especially when they 'went to sleep' when the sun went down.

What about a 'medicine garden'? Plants to cure nettle stings (docks, obviously!) sage for sore throats, herbs for cuts and bruises etc. All the ailments that little boys have!

A 'rainbow' garden: Flowers in the colours of the rainbow, planted in a rainbow shape.

A shed/hideaway with a grass roof.

A corner of the garden dedicated to recycling: Planting in things found on skips/the rubbish bin etc.

A weather station: Catching rainfall, recording temperatures etc.

I'll shut up now  8)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 13:28:18 »
Oooh fabulous ideas !  Thankyou. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal