Author Topic: Frogs in the Pond at last!!  (Read 2367 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Frogs in the Pond at last!!
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:42:28 »
Well its been a long enough wait but my pond has finaly aquired some amphibian life.

I was looking at the pond yesterday afternoon and noticed some movement that could not be atributed to insects, plants of the wind. On closer inspection spotted not one but two smallish brown frogs (deffo frogs not toads). One then decided to get out and spent ages sitting by the side of the pond whil;st the other prefered to sit in amoungst one of the pond plants with just his head  out of the water. Later the larger of the two was observed swimming around in the deeper part of the pond. They later dissapeared into the undergrowth of the nearby bog garden.

I do so hope they stay around. it would be nice come next spring to have them breed and give us some tadpoles.

Fantastic!

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Frogs in the Pond at last!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 21:19:59 »
Ah,but how do you know they are "breedable" and not "just good friends"? ;D
Margaret

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:24:59 »
Ah,but how do you know they are "breedable" and not "just good friends"? ;D

They arent either now Margaret. Two has become one. the smaller of the frogs has disapeared and the other makes only fleeting appearances. Personaly i think its stage fright - it didnt like being watched!

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 11:16:17 »
You will have many more frogs that the 2 you have seen and they normally spend more time away from the pond than in it.I cleaned out a small 5ftx3ft pond for a friend and on 1st inspection there were no frogs and he said he had 1 or 2 blobs of frog spawn each year.I then proceded to empty the water and counted and removed over 60 full size frogs and this was in early spring.When i say removed i just put them in the surrounding rockery they werent harmed!!
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:05:48 »
That would explain mine disapearing without trace one day then suddenly reappearing the next as if they hadnt been away.

Mine must spend an awfull amount just sitting about on the bottom, as it has for the last couple of days apparently.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 16:09:51 »
I've just harvested my potatoes in spudtubs and compost bags, 7 lots in all in the paved yard, and had to relocate a toad and two frogs from amongst the haulms over to the cover of the garden.

Cracking lot of spuds too.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 19:50:11 »
I've just harvested my potatoes in spudtubs and compost bags, 7 lots in all in the paved yard, and had to relocate a toad and two frogs from amongst the haulms over to the cover of the garden.

Cracking lot of spuds too.

Glad to hear it (about the frogs as well as the spuds). Mine has disapeared recently. i dont know if its just hiding out somewhere , is elsewhere in the garden, or has pushed off to another pond. You would have thought that it would be about more in wet/damp weather wouldnt you?

That said i have taken advantage of its apparentabsence to try and sort out the pond and give the oxygenator weed a bit of a 'prune' it was starting to take over!! The pond looks a bit empty and a bit murky due to stirred up sediment, but there should be just enough oxygenator now, and abit more room for wildlife!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 19:53:01 by Garden Cadet »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal