Author Topic: Mushroom kits  (Read 761 times)

Lazy Daisy

• Quarter Acre
  • Where's the sun gone
Mushroom kits
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:22:52 »
Have been reading the thread on wild mushrooms but have decided to play safe and try again to grow my own. I have had Oyster and Shitake logs in my garden for about 2 years but they have done virtually nothing. I would like to know if it is possble to grow Chestnut and Shitake in my cellar. If so does anyone know where I can get reliable kits from.  Many thanks
Enthusiastic Amateur, hopefully quick learner

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
Re: Mushroom kits
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:39:55 »
There have been many threads regarding this subject. I too have tried kits with virtually zero success.
However there is an alternative. I purchased a quantity of "spent" mushroom compost from an organic grower locally. He only grows Chestnut. When I brought the compost home, small mushrooms started popping up almost immediately so I placed a quantity of the "spent" compost into a polystyrene fish box (local restaurant throws them away) and withing 10 days I had a superb crop. But that's not all, the compost that I put onto my Lottie has been producing delicious Chestnuts almost continually. Good luck....Dinger

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Mushroom kits
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:43:22 »
I`m with you on this one Dinger. There was a similar thread over on the Beeb-kits are not that good but if anyone get get hold of unsterilised `spent` compost it`s a winner

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal