Author Topic: missing kernels!  (Read 898 times)

umshamrock

• Half Acre
missing kernels!
« on: August 17, 2006, 20:56:18 »
HI,
I just got back from my allotment...and my corn has like no kernels! i have never seen anything like it. i have probably picked 6 ears already this year that were all fine...then today i picked six more and all of them had very few kernels. one had yellow kernels but were all shriveled - they looked old even though the tassels were just light brown. the ears were all covered in plastic bottles to prevent mice attack, i don't know if that had anything to do with it.

any ideas?? here is a pick:

shamrock
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: missing kernels!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 20:57:41 »
sounds like mice to me - maybe they crept up the bottle!

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 20:59:54 »
don't think it was mice - they kinda strip the leaves off and the leaves were very tightly wrapped still...it's crazy, i'm telling you. the tassels were missing though.

oh, and i saw pics of bottles covering corn on another thread - i didn't cut the ends off my bottles.

maybe it got too hot for the cobs? they were only covered a few weeks and i didn't cover them till they were big!
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 21:21:40 »
Me too!!  This is my first year so everything is a revelation/mystery, I just assumed that I'd been too enthusiatic and picked them too soon ....  anyone no whats's afoot??

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 21:40:29 »
Do you think that there were kernels there or is it just poor pollination.I have seen corn like this when people have grown corn in rows instead of blocks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 21:57:41 »
It could be poor pollenation-I get someting similar with about 10% of my crop. They are still OK to eat though or put them in the stock pot

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 22:13:28 »
Yup, agree, poor pollination.  If the air is still when the flowers and flowering, walk through the plants and give them a little shake, you will see the pollen floating around in the breeze - this ensures nice full cobs.  My urchins did it for me, and I did it again a few days later, and our cobs are packed to the very tips.  Even if you are only growing a few plants, get them close and in a blockor little group, as mentioned.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal