Author Topic: Overwintering Chickens  (Read 2826 times)

joanfoden

• Not So New ...
Overwintering Chickens
« on: August 16, 2006, 15:16:03 »
Hi,
I live in SW France and am considering buying some chickens for egg production.  I have a question though before I do.
It gets cold here in the winter - around -5 C to -10 C.  Do I need to purchase some sort of heating for the chickens or will extra straw suffice?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

CityChick

• Acre
Re: Overwintering Chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 15:36:18 »
Damp and draughts are what you need to avoid - they can be killers.  Chooks need sufficient ventilation to get fresh air, but they can certainly cope with temperatues below zero. Afterall, they are covered in their own custom fit feather duvet coats!  I think it might even cause problems if they go from a very warm inside, to freezing temperatures outside?

I have a max / min thermometer in my shed, which is where my chickens live.  It got down to minus 6C last year inside the shed, but the chooks were fine.

I'm also a member of the poultry keeper forum and there are chicken keepers on there up in the Scottish Isles, over in France and in Sweden... As far as I know, none of these provide any heating for their chooks.

joanfoden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 15:55:33 »
Thanks CityChick.

Do you keep them locked in the shed over winter or allow them free reign?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 23:47:18 »
I will be letting mine out and adding extra straw in the winter - i am also planning on building a covered area too so they can go out but get some shelter if they need it.

The chooks need daylight to lay eggs or else they'll stop.

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 07:05:57 »
Oh yes, mine always have the option of going out too.  And have some places they can shelter from the weather if the weather is bad (or, in the summer, too hot).

One other thing to keep an eye on in the really cold weather is their water as this can freeze.

joanfoden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 16:45:14 »
Thanks CityChick & OliveOil - I feel more confident now in getting some chickens. I'll keep you posted.

I am just about to receive 2 piglets - they are arriving in an hours time.  Fun and games to come!! ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 17:02:34 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ooooh pigs! Please, please, please can we have pics of them? What kind are they?

Jealous, jealous, jealous!

;)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 19:42:20 »
Oooo, how exciting....  Another request for piccies please :D and regular updates ;)

joanfoden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 19:51:36 »
Hi Katynewbie
Just got them and settled them into their new quarters.  More pictures tomorrow once we have let them out to play.
See our website  http://bellebouche.com/blog/
Joan

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 20:56:39 »
Oh Joan - your blog had me in absolute stitches  ;D

welsummerman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 13:52:14 »
for really severe temps try this Nordic tip , get bales of straw and place them all around the shed close up to the walls allowing spaces for doors and windows etc  stack to the roof level then take a large tarpaulin and stretch it over the shed roof and down the sides securing well with ropes etc .this will cut out the cold winds hitting the shed walls and draughts  but still allowing the chickens light air and access , as it is the wind that causes the chill that can kill with lower temps . , the snow on the roof Will act as an insulator for the top

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 14:05:25 »
Ahhh good idea - only prob would be rats and mice living int he straw???

welsummerman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 14:09:17 »
good point olive , but you can poison them by placing the trays deep inside the straw between the bales , ;) running my trap lines i dont have that problem  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal