Author Topic: Sparrow Baby Boom!  (Read 1694 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Sparrow Baby Boom!
« on: August 16, 2006, 13:46:06 »
I dont really know why but this year has been a fantastic breeding year for our sparrow population. I think most breeding pairs must've raised at least 2 if not 3 broods, the last one quite recently. I cant count them but there must be several dozen in our little neighbourhood alone!

Sparrows may not be the prettiest bird, but they more than make up for it in entertainment appeal, especialy the fledglings who are quite comical in their antics. Our pond has been a particular attraction, with regular daily visits to the 'shallows' for bathing and drinking. Our main lawn is regularly turned into a bird canteen, in addition to the hanging feeders higher up the garden.

The downside is that all these birds need food from us to supplement their natural food - the bird food bill (no pun) goes up and up as they consume more and more. Still if it provides hours of entertainment its worth the cost i think.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Sparrow Baby Boom!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 14:00:24 »
And Blackbirds, third brood fledged last week from the nest-on-the-fence, second from Barbaras tree and similar at my mate's house.

As per many previous posts, there ain't no decline in sparra numbers round my house, noisy chav sparra's everywhere.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 14:18:06 »
And Blackbirds, third brood fledged last week from the nest-on-the-fence, second from Barbaras tree and similar at my mate's house.

As per many previous posts, there ain't no decline in sparra numbers round my house, noisy chav sparra's everywhere.

I wish i could say the same about my Blackies. Our local ones are giving my garden awide berth at the moment, all thanks to the local magpies, and are only making fleeting visits. I think ther are som youngsters about, so someone managed to raise a brood this year, but as i said above the magpies give our blackbirds a rough time sadly.

Strangely enough they never seem to bother with the sparrows, you'd think smaller birds would make an easier target. Thankfully all the sparrows have to worry about are the local cats and getting their food!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 15:10:08 »
We also have sparrow boom. We used to have flocks of them when we moved here then they all but disappeared. This year we have had 2/3 broods & suddenly there is a reasonable sized flock flying around again. Love it even though they are noisy little varmints.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 22:16:12 »
Its been the same in my garden.  My bird count is usually just a couple of sparrows every week but now I have between 30 and 40 visiting and mucking around for most of the day.  My Rose hedge is full of chattering sparras and I am enjoying them.  They are most welcome and hope they stay.

:D :D :D :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal