Author Topic: Nostalgia?  (Read 20011 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Nostalgia?
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2006, 22:08:38 »
Some of my earliest memories are of  the gas lights, also litten candles on the C*******s tree.   I also remember the Fish n chip man going round the streets selling from a horse drawn cart with gas lights.  At the same time, the vegetable man had a horse drawn cart as well.  I must have been under 5 at the time so that wasnt in the 60s!!!!   :D :D :D

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2006, 22:39:45 »
Yeeaahhhh !!! 
Grandad always got the tree from the market on Christmas Eve when they were cheaper!!
He'd decorate it and put the candles on for us grand children to light them during the evening.
What about sugar mice grandma always gave us one at Christmas.
Hanging an old army sock for Santa and not having much in it except nuts and fruit.
Does any one remember making the Christmas cake and puddings with silver sixpences in.
Those were the days  ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2006, 23:16:02 »
Till I was three we lived in a caravan that didn't even have gas light, just a Tilley. My mother had a calor gas iron that she nearly set the place on fire with once. I remember my grandfather coming to visit in a car (most unusual on the site!) with a crankhandle.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2006, 23:33:51 »
My Dads first 'bought' car was an old Ford 8.  Dont know how many folk he managed to cram into it for a day trip to the sea side!   I remember my Uncle learning to drive in it and somehow I was in a car behind him and watched the 'instructor' almost falling out the car once when he took a bend too quickly.   ;D ;D ;D ;D.   

Our Chr****** cakes always had silver 6d in them,  in fact I still have 6d in the house.  Sugar mice in my stocking along with an apple and orange.  I used to get loads of Annuals,  The Broons or Oor Wullie, Bunty, Judy and Girls Friend Annual.  Was never keen on the Beezer or Dandy etc. 

;D ;D ;D

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2006, 22:43:26 »
First car I remember my dad having was a Triumph Mayflower.  Mine was a Triumph Herald.

As we've got onto the 'C' word subject again, my mum used to put the sixpences in the pudding, not the cake.  Anyone remember those paper chains you used to sit and make?  Is it me, or were the winters always colder when we were kids?  I remember my bedroom window being frosted on the inside, as well as the outside.
Or is it global warming?  If so, why did the summers seem hotter and drier then?

We've still got sixpenny pieces (and some silver ones!), and I've got my grannys old flat iron that she used to heat up on the fire.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2006, 23:50:27 »
My Dad’s first car was an “Austin eight” I can still smell that leathery smell that they had in those days. ;D
http://www.philseed.com/austin8-16.html

I remember the “Triumph Mayflower” as my mate bought a second hand one, I thought at the time blimey he must be rich, although they were only a small family car but looked very ‘Regal’. 8)
http://www.philseed.com/trmayflower.html

My first car was an “Austin A40 Devon” £27.10s second hand, can’t remember the date I bought it but it was a long time ago. ::)

http://www.philseed.com/austin-counties.html

Oh! Memories. ;D

Oh! And yes I do remember those paper chains we used to make and the rag rugs from old clothes and my parents putting thick coats on top of our bed clothes for extra warmth during those very cold winters. :o ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2006, 23:53:18 »
And the rag and bone man and the goldfish?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2006, 23:58:03 »
 ;D And the coalman delivering coal in the coal shed and my uncle throughing white wash over it so he could tell if anyone was nicking it ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2006, 00:04:41 »
Wise man, your uncle, Roy 8)

Howzabout this, tho? Digging in the garden last week I dug up an aluminium disc - 2" diameter with a hole in the middle. On it's stamped '1 ctw coal. 1/2 cwt coke'.......remember the sacks they were delivered in? Oh and btw....anyone collect memorabilia? Still got the darned thing & can't bear to throw it away :-[

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2006, 00:34:26 »
 ;D I've still got an old "Park Drive" Fag packet, just can't bring myself to throw it away. ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2006, 09:40:57 »
;D I've still got an old "Park Drive" Fag packet,.

If I remember rightly, they were even worse than Weights,only you could buy Weights in 5s.
Smile, it confuses people.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2006, 00:08:50 »
Childrens` hour on the radio - `Out with Romany` and `Toy Town` with Larry the Lamb, Dennis the Dachshund, Mr. Growser and Ernest the Policeman.  Hoop racing along the street, and Top and Whip contests on the pavement. Rally-O in the school yard, and Tip Cat competitions.

Sweets at a ha`penny an ounce.  Watching the Gas Lighter coming down the road at dusk with his pole and lighting the street lamps.

Putting 3 (old) pennies into the slot machine and getting 5 Woodbines.

Listening to the radio at 11 am on Sunday the 3rd September 1939 and hearing Neville Chamberlain telling us that we were at war with Germany, and everything that followed. 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2006, 08:13:49 »
Making a slide the length of the school playground in the winter,fine till someone had a 'greenstick fracture',then the caretaker came out with a bucket of ashes. Would never happen these days of course.
Smile, it confuses people.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2006, 08:35:39 »
;D

Drying damp woolen mittens on a pot-bellied black stove in the classroom on wet days! They used to steam gently all morning, the whole classroom smelled like wet dog!

;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2006, 09:50:09 »
I remembered the ash thing on ice last year when I couldn't get my car out of the garage - neighbours thought I was mad but a) I have a multi fuel stove & therefore ashes,  & b) it worked.

Dug a co-op milk token out of the garden - I'm the only person round here who knows what it is............
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2006, 11:01:09 »
I've dug the odd bit of shrapnel out of mine. Apparently there was an AA gun on the railway at the end of the site, that went up and down the track. someone lived in the shed on the plot for a while to escape the bombs, and had bits of it landing on the roof.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2006, 11:40:24 »
Last autumn I dug up a Stratton powder compact - remember those? Still got some powder and puff-thingy in it.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2006, 13:09:04 »
Last autumn I dug up a Stratton powder compact - remember those? Still got some powder and puff-thingy in it.

Crumbs that brings back a lovely memory. First thing my eldest son bought me with some money he'd saved was a Stratton powder compact from a charity shop. It didn't have powder in it, didnt use that anyway, but had a lovely little mirror, and butterflies on the outside. Still got it.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2006, 13:52:24 »
 ;D ;D

Coal and milk checks from the Co-op I do remember them, cos I sold the things.  I had a short spell working in the Co-op when folk came in to pay their grocery bill and buy the tokens for the week.  Does anyone remember their Divi No.?   The Divi  paid for my school clothes and boiler suits for my Dad.  It was a great help to the house budget having the Divi to fall back on.  Money was then tight, no credit cards then   ;D ;D ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2006, 13:59:55 »
Yes, I remember our divi number, shopping seemed so involved then. I remember the co-op bread really well, it was absolutely awful. However, it did come wrapped in greased paper, which was every child's delight, as it made the slide faster at the playground ... the result was often bloodied knees from shooting off the end too fast !!!
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal