Author Topic: how many empty plots?  (Read 4869 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: how many empty plots?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 18:07:50 »
We have 173 plots, 11.8 acres, and all are taken, in the sense that someone pays rent. About six are badly neglected, and a waiting list of ten, If I had my way that would be 6 new plotholders.....
 >:(

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 18:10:15 »
We have about 150 plots on our field - all taken and a waiting list of about ten.  Some people have more than one plot  - they've had these for a number of years from when we had lots of vacant plots and no one wanted them.  If we have any 10 rod plots become vacant they are going to be split into two five rod plots to give people on the waiting list a chance.  Our committee are also considering writing to those people with ten rod plots who are (and have been for the past couple of years) only using a very small part of their plots to see if they would consider having just five rod and thus allowing those on the waiting list to have a plot.

amphibian

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 00:52:52 »
:(

Amphibian...giving up your plot??? Is it the only one you have? Sorry, really nosey!

:-[

I'm giving up some of my plot, because of deer limiting what I can grow. I am on a waiting list for a plot elsewhere.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 10:09:18 »
On my new site in the over-populated South East (East Sussex) we have a large sloping, wooded field with about 5 active allotments, 3 or 4 derelict ones, and huge areas of rough grass, mown by the council every few weeks, fortunately. There are two water tanks, and I can't understand why so few people use it. There was a tractor down there the other day pulling up young self-sown trees, so now I am a little anxious about the building rumours strongly denied by the council.

On my other site, all allotments are taken, and worked on, and there is a long waiting list and no water at all.

I'm keeping my old site because I have done a lot of work on improving the soil and it is 3 minutes cycle ride away. The new site, 10 minutes by car, will be for tougher veg and fruit that don't need such regular visits, but I have only managed to cultivate about 10 square metres so far. Ground has set like concrete. Have made 2/3rds of it into a lasagna bed, but the labour of carrying all the ingredients down a slippery stony slope has temporarily defeated both me and my sack trolley (it collapsed).

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 18:10:55 »
0 empty plots with a few on the waiting list.We have chickens (not mine) and are just awaiting 3 pigs!!! :o :o.The chairman is hoping to grow them to a decent size then spit roast 1 for our communial bbq and butcher the other 2 to sell to plot holders.Not sure if i could face eating them after watching them grow and having the odd chat!!!
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 00:17:26 »
 :(

I'm the exception: on a huge site (100 full size plots plus 20 or so half-plots) which is only about a third occupied.

And we have water  :)

And hardly any of us has the plague  ;D

But there are more plotholders than there were when I arrived 3+ years ago, so I keep my fingers crossed for our future... 

bunjy

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 12:10:55 »
im not sure on numbers but theres definatly more empty ones than taken ones.....its a shame really as its next to 5 blocks of flats and the people with kids could use them as a garden dont know why they dont tbh

tracy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal