Author Topic: Peace lily  (Read 2479 times)

jethro

Peace lily
« on: March 31, 2004, 13:28:32 »
ok i have a peace lily don't know the latin name, it's in a 10 inch pot in a shaded place getting some light but not direct sunlight in the living room. We have had it for 3 years and it's massive but it has not flowered since we bought it, it only grows the leaves.

Is there anything else we should do to make it flower or is it a lost cause.

Cheers

Peter

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
Re:Peace lily
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 14:23:03 »
Hi there Peter, Mrs jammyd had a peace lily for several years, and the only flowers it ever had were the ones it had when she was given it. Someone told me that by only watering when the leaves were drooping a lot, the plant (thinking it was going to die) would throw out a flower or two (in an attempt to reproduce I expect).

This worked for us, and last year we had 2 flowers, and the lily was none the worse for it :)

good luck!
jams

jethro

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 14:34:12 »
Cheers jams, i'll try that if it doesn't get strangled by me before then  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 18:13:48 »
I agree with Jammy.  Mum has something similar but it has smaller pink flowers, right pretty too...must get a lump to add to my collection...anyhow, she is rather...ahem...lax at watering and sometimes the plants look like they are on their last legs, but she gives them a drink, and they flower their little hearts out.  She is one of those people who manages to make things thrive on total neglect.  Glad she was a bit better with us kids....note I only said a bit  :o  ;)

jethro

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 19:45:57 »
Hi EJ, once again thanks, i'll tell the wife to be more brutal (with the plant not me  ;D ) , and hopefully she'll be rewarded with flowers .

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 09:23:33 »
I knew there was some reason why I neglected mine. It flowers fairly regularly. Well at least once a year. I rarely water it - it just gets the end of my glass of water every now and again!
gone to pot :D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 16:16:42 »
Is the small version also a Peace Lily looks same?  
Should say looked as I bought one in a pot last Easter and it did fine in the house then I read it  grew in woodland so planted it outside by the shed and only remembered it when I read this. Haven't seen it since the beginning of winter  :o so it must have perished - or else it's smothered by the cornflowers which have seeded themselves in that area.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal