Author Topic: Willows  (Read 2252 times)

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
Willows
« on: March 31, 2004, 19:53:36 »
Hi all, I have two willows in very big pots on the terrace, one Crinkly one Weeping and a Robinia they are all sprouting new branches and leaves, could someone tell me when is the best time to prune [if I'm not too late] last year I was a bit early and the frost burnt them. Thanks Chezzie

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Willows
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 20:56:20 »
Depends on what you want from them. If they produce catkins, then the time to prune is after the catkins have finished. THen they will spend the Summer producing new shoots on which the catkins appear next Spring. Pruning for shape and size can be done at time time convenient to you, though I would wait until frost danger is over.
Robinias are not usually pruned at all, but again if you need to reduce the size, any time after last frost.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
Re:Willows
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 21:08:19 »
Thanks Palustris, There is only one branch on the Weeping with Catkins because the frost got to the rest so the best thing to do then is to prune them to just above the dead bit?  I'll leave the Robinia and the Crinkly has lots of buds so I'll wait until they are finished and do it in May.  Thanks again Chezzie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal