Author Topic: Spuds - next years selection!  (Read 4417 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Spuds - next years selection!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2006, 14:13:53 »
Well on, digging up our second earlies Maris Peer now, but what a disappointment, okay flavour but very small.  Can only assume it might be because of the very dry conditions this year. So will be looking around for another second early to try next year, but definitely sticking with International Kidney which was a great success. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2006, 15:24:41 »
I don't remember exactly what happened but I only got as far as planting all the first earlies, and a couple of the second earlies plus sarpo. A small two-legged pest removed my labels. Hubby seems pleased with the 2 sarpo varieties - no slug damage, a touch of scab, large and were tasty for chips.  He wants to grow them again next year (think last year, we said they were a bit tasteless).
Will probably do potato day next year at Ryton.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 22:24:20 »
I had a bit of a problem with my plot being waterlogged for some months earlier this year, so the potatoes were late getting in the ground. I did have two varieties of sarpo but one of them died only I'm not sure which.  :-[ I am very impressed with the one that survived though, no slug damage at all. Especially when you look at something that was planted on the same plot and has been riddled with the little beasties.
So I think I'll be growing both types of Sarpo again and anything else in the T&M catalogue that says it has good slug resistance. The Ulster Cheiftain looks good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal