Author Topic: Spuds - next years selection!  (Read 4424 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Spuds - next years selection!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 22:56:17 »
Maris Peer - less holey than the bards but still a little holey - taste good and firmer that the bards too.  I meant to dig some Kestrels for roast but got the wrong row ::) so had them steamed instead.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:09 »
2 potato patches in entirely the wrong places for this year's weather - only get water when it rains! so expecting a better crop next year when I move the beds.

So far, Foremost & Kestrel are up. Poor yield, bit of scab on the Kestrels but nothing much. No slug damage at all. Will be tasting them both today. Arran Pilot is ready to lift, with Desiree, Cara and PFA still growing strongly.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 10:25:06 »
Across the Board, little slug damage. The drought??

But are we not a little premature in making our list? So many varieties yet to mature? Much will have been forgotten by October - or even Christmas - when they are assessed??

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:55 »
But are we not a little premature in making our list?

Fair comment Tim, but I have finished eating my first earlies, and steadily chomping my way through the 2nds ... Also, our site seed and potato order has to be in by the end of October so that it can be placed and the seeds received before Christmas (hopefully). The potatoes are received as normal in February, but by placing a bulk order, we get the benefit of excellent pricing and quality deliveries to all the sites in our City.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 10:52:01 »
Hi, I've grown potatoes in pots for the last 3 years (limited garden space and no allotment sadly  :( ) and varieties this year have been;  Belle de Fontenay (supposed to be maincrop but foliage died back really early so ended up being first - small crop and small potatoes but a terrific flavour and would grow again),  Epicure (flourier than I expected, I prefer a waxy potato but my OH prefers floury so they were quite a hit with a decent yield) and British Queen (incredibly floury - turned to mush very quickly in pan but spared the executioner's axe because they are fantastic roasted).  I've still to pick Golden Wonder, but the lilac flowers have been good!  Also ordered a selection of heritage micro plants but they didn't arrive until end July!!!  One has died and the other four are growing on in small pots but whether I'll be able to keep them over the winter to crop next year, I've no idea!

Cheers, Iain

PS - not sure about next year, like to try new varieties so will be noting your recommendations - International Kidney is a definite possibility  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 12:37:45 »
Premature indeed Tim, but as you know, with no way of watering my spuds, most of them have died right back, so I am digging them before they start to grow again, before slugs move in as the weather dampens, and whilst I have the time.  The Pink fir and edzell blue still have green foliage, so they are staying put, the Orla and Cara are down by my shed in the shade, and they were planted at least 3 weeks later, so they are still in flower and will stay put until autumn.

I fancy international kidney also as you all seem to rave about it.  I will have to get my hands on some seaweed like the Jersey growers used to, to try to recreate that amazing new potato flavour.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 17:36:50 »
Take the point, Curry!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 17:41:14 »
Not much chance of getting seaweed here in landlocked Coventry, so I just muddle along as best as I can. The only help the spuds get is some BF&B ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 20:21:25 »
i got the 'no hassels' pack from thompson and morgan which offered 6 kinds of disease resistant potatoes (13£ for 60 tubers). this is the first year i didn't get blight so i guess they work!
Collection comprises:
Orla (First Early) - excellent for new potatoes, roasting, wedges and jacket potatoes (some got too big!)
Romano (Second Early) - my favorites so far. good for roasting or potatoe wedges
Sante (Early Maincrop) - died back really really early. dug some up tonight for dinner.
Cara (Late Maincrop)
Valor (Late Maincrop)
Sarpo Axona (Late Maincrop)

The rest are still in the ground growing away....
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

lilybetbee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 14:42:32 »
Orla (first early), excellent cropped well in tunnel and outside and cooked well. Will go for these again

Catriona (second early) look pretty with purple eyes but very disappointing, low yield and turns to mush if you boil, (the surface explodes off and it disintegrates); had to roast them to use then.

Robinta (main) and Cara (main) looking good so far, I stuck a few in the tunnel that were left over and they have yielded well and cook properly

Pink Fir Apples not ready yet.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 16:59:32 by lilybetbee »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 21:01:04 »
I finally got round to digging some of my Duke of Yorks today, after trying a few some time back and finding nothing there. They're fine. Cara died back weeks ago, and is highly unlikely to produce anything. Charlotte is still growing.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 23:35:06 »
I'm finding that with my DoYs Robert - bloody late first earlies - a new potato classification.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

GeordieVik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 11:32:31 »
as a veg newbie, with a brand new, semi weeded lottie, which potatoes would you recommend for yields & flavour for my first spud growing attempts?

I was looking at a couple of Thompson & Morgan collections, both cost £13.49 for 10 tubers each of 6 varieties (see below) do they sound like nice ones, or should I just buy one variety from each grouping instead?

'heirloom' collection
Red Duke of York (First Early)
Sharpes Express (First Early)
Catriona (Second Early)
International Kidney (Second Early/Early Maincrop)
Arran Victory (Late Maincrop)
Golden Wonder (Late Maincrop)

'Beginners' collection

Rocket (First Early)
Pentland Javelin (First Early)
Lady Christl (First Early/Second Early)
Kestrel (Second Early)
Picasso (Early Maincrop)
Desiree (Early Maincrop

What do you think?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 12:48:01 »
Our first year of allotment/spuds: we watered at least weekly after the first month  (thinking London warmth and very free draining soil). Pentland Javelins gave a good crop, the tops fell over in July so we took them out then. Same problem as others have mentioned  -  flavour OK but tendency to go mushy when boiled. even fractionally too long. Best to start to cook from cold water?

Pink Firs tops are looking patchy brown. Dug up three plants last week for very little return - hoping leaving the rest longer will be more productive.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 13:08:58 »
Hi

I would agree as a newbie to get the pack. As you dont know what will do well in your soil.

I planted simular variatys to the plot holder beside me. He had no problems i got wireworm and blight!

Laveviewallotment

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 15:37:39 »
I did well at the potato fair in Dulwich and got 50 tubers for £7.50. They had 83 types to choose from in January. See if there's a fair around by you. Liked Ulster Chieftan and very fond of Romano. Belle de Fontenay also nice.
This year it's squash.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 23:30:47 »
I think I did one of those sorts of packs last year Geordie Vik, and the only rubbish one for my site were the Golden Wonder spuds.  Hardly any at all!  I personally think it is good to try several different types because different spuds will work okay for you, when they could be poop on my site in arid Essex.  All the spuds on the beginners collection are winners on my site and they are all varieties I grow again and again.

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2006, 00:32:58 »
Red Duke of York - excellent yield with some slug damage.
Wilja - poor yield this year ,my fault as I planted near trees - no slug damage as usual.
Epicure - good yield with some slug damage.
Pink Fir Apple still to come.
As usual Wilja is first on the team sheet for 2007 - superb flavour and top slug resistance.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2006, 10:17:23 »
I did well at the potato fair in Dulwich and got 50 tubers for £7.50. They had 83 types to choose from in January.

Wow, sounds fabulous! I'll definitely visit the fair next year! ;D

I had my Anya potatoes and they were fab. Would grow them again, I think.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2006, 13:35:53 »
Our situation is similar to curry's re the prices for bulk ordering.
EJ, we don't water potatoes anyway and didn't this year either even tho it's been so dry.

Two varieties we tried for the first time this year were Yukon Gold which we are definitely going to go for again next year and Adora (which were a freebie sample and said to be Low Carbohydrate) which again was really tasty and we will try to get for next year. The other early we will grow again (and again!) is Lady Christl.

Our Wilja and Crystal(?) were not too impressive so will probably revert to one of the Maris types and for the maincrops will stick to Maris Piper and probably King Edwards tho we have still to lift the Desiree.

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal