Author Topic: Still need help!!  (Read 1137 times)

Shas

• Quarter Acre
Still need help!!
« on: August 11, 2006, 14:57:05 »
Hi gang,
Well, I suppose your all sick of me complaining about my rock hard clay soil on my new plot, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm so chuffed I just want to tell the world!!!
Moved all the rubbish from one of the carpets today, and found soil!! Not in bad condition actually, and fairly moist, so dug it over, covered it in organic matter from the compost heap, (when we'd moved more rubbish to get into that as well) soaked it and put the carpet back for a few days.
Dave sprayed the Round-up on the worst bit, so now hoping it doesn't rain! Not easy is it? To rain or not to rain? That is the question!!
Still being given lots of yummy stuff by the other plot holders.  Our open day on Sunday, Have been collecting marge tubs, so at least I can contribute blackberries! Tons of the blasted things!!
Now, the help bit.  Can I plant anything in my good bit of soil this year, or shall I wait for Spring?
Cheers.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Still need help!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 15:15:43 »
 ;D

Oooh well done you! It's great when you finally get to the soil!

Plant now?

Ambassador peas
Spinach..Bordeaux is lovely, has red stems and looks beautiful
Spring onions
Beetroot...may not get very big, but all the better for that

Loads of stuff, you could get cabbage family plants from nurseries etc and get them in

Experts will be along shortly...

;)

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 15:17:49 »
Hi Shas, Yup, now's the time to get in the last of the winter veg - curly kale, ps broccoli, brussel sprouts, cavalo nero (italian cabbage). You can also chuck potatoes in for christmas new potatoes but the leetle worms like those so clean carefully before eating. I like turnips too but so do the slugs/snails.
Also, beets are lovely, Katy! Forgot about those. Put some in now and eat the golf ball sized treats in the autumn!
This year it's squash.

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 20:54:06 »
Thanks for tips guys.  Will try beets coz we love 'em.  Sorry Katy, but not huge spinach fans in our house.  About the only veg we're not keen on.  Will def. try to get some brassicas in.  Got new pots in half barrel in garden, so might try brussels
down the lotty.  Will try the spring onions, and is it too late for lettuce and raddishes?
Just want to get something growing!! Apart from those d**n blackberries!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 11:13:09 »
Winter salad leaf mixes are great but I would grow them in a tub, and watch out for the flea beetle. a bit of fleece helps...
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal