Author Topic: Spuds  (Read 6870 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Spuds
« on: March 30, 2004, 22:10:28 »
Hopefully putting my spuds (earlies) in this weekend.  Does anyone put anything under/with them to stop beasties munching on them?  Just a thought as i went to a veggie talk the other day and the man recommended putting a mushed piece of rhubarb under every brassica seedling to prevent club root!  Has anyone else tried/heard of it?  Must be worth a go i reckon

Sparky

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:Spuds
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 22:33:21 »
Hi Sparky - I like to put a layer of new-mown grass in the bottom of my poato trench.  Stops them getting scab - which is superficial damage only, but not very attractive (so lots of peeling, if your tatties get it).

All best - Gavin

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 08:07:03 »
My 1st year for spuds, I've taken Gavin's advice about the grass clippings underneath, and a Tyne Tees programme called Kitchen Garden (I think) advised put a dollop of seaweed on top which allegedly keeps off slugs so I've done that as well.  Helps if you live near the sea though!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 19:48:07 »
Hi Sparky

Have tried the rhubarb but wasn't effective for us. Chap in next allotment is from Shetland and he always puts seaweed under his potatoes and gets good crops but believe you have to be careful collecting seaweed along shore in case of contamination(?!)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:00:16 »
I'm a bit to far from the sea but perhaps might water them with that seaweed extract stuff that came with my seed order from organics, do you think that'll do the same thing?

Sparky

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 11:58:45 »
As a half-way house - why not 'seaweed meal'? NOT calcified seaweed! We use it on all sorts. = Tim

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 13:20:56 »
Any ideas on where to get this seaweed meal from?
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 19:25:11 »
One of our more experienced lottie members, advised me to wrap mine in newspaper, and recommended The Sun, simply because he had had success by wrapping his in The Sun.

We read The Mail on Sunday, and I wasn't going out to buy The Sun (get on with it ...) so as an experiment, I planted 20 in The Mail, and 20 with nothing on.

I wonder if I will get chips ready wrapped ???
Every best wish, Colin.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 20:29:23 »
Colin...! You playing the April first joke or what? Everyone knows the only paper you should use is the Tatie Times.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 23:34:27 »
Liked that Ken  ;D

Still no substitute for fish & chips in a paper, preferably with a crossword on it.

ooops! The chips are not ready!!!!  ;D

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 06:42:26 »
Les - I get it from the Organic Catalogue. = Tim

PS Later - haven't had to buy any for a long time & have just seen the current price. Oh, well - down to the beaches? = Tim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 10:58:10 by tim »

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 11:22:32 »
The Kitchen Gardener recommended seaweed off a beach. He said the stuff you buy in Garden centres has been washed but seaweed from the beach is covered in salt which the slugs can't stand

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 11:48:47 »
I dont suppose there is anyone passing by Nottingham on their way home from the beach...if so drop me off some seaweed ??? ??? ::) :o ;) :)

jethro

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 12:09:27 »
Hi Tim, why not calcified seaweed does it rot them?

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 12:30:43 »
Found this on Calcified seaweed, thought it might clarify the seaweed issue on this thread;

Calcified Seaweed
How does it work ?
Plant root hairs can directly feed from the calcified seaweed's reservoir of available balanced minerals and trace elements.
Furthermore these trace elements are quickly colonised by soil bacteria that creates humus, the establishment of worms, and contributes to a better soil structure and root development.
This effect enables plants to fully utilise the soil minerals and trace elements that are already present
Benefits
* improved soil structure
* deeper rooting plants
* increased availability of trace elements
* long lasting, does not wash away
* healthier - no lock up of valuable minerals
* maintenance of correct pH
* can be applied any time of the year
Application rate
General rate:- 4oz. - 8oz (2 handfuls). per square yard

J.I. Composts:- Use in place of chalk or lime at the directed rate

Compost heaps:- Keep sweet with a dusting every 6" of organic matter. Improves bacterial action, stimulates the breakdown of useable compost

Correcting soil acidity:- After soil testing, apply calcified seaweed instead of lime, as indicated by the test

Exhibition work:- e.g. Chrysanthemums, sweet peas, Dahlias, Leeks, Onions. A light dressing of 4oz. per square yard is recommended.
Potting:- 1 handful per 2.5 litre pot

When to apply
Calcified seaweed is a completely safe, natural, marine mineral and can be used any time of the year.

On heavy soils it is most effective at the time of final soil preparation e.g. autumn or early winter. On lighter soils apply pre sowing, or before or during planting out. As a boost it can be used at any time.

How to apply
Sprinkle calcified seaweed over the surface of the soil, and and then lightly hoe it into the top 3" - 4". If applied early it may be left on the surface to wash in

Ericaceous subjects
Do not use calcified seaweed on ericaceous plants such as rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers etc.. unless a higher pH is required.

A Public Analysts report on the 15th July 1998 shows that the sample of calcified seaweed contains:

Calcium 42%. . Magnesium 4.2% . . Zinc154mgs / Kg . . Copper 9.6mgs / Kg . . Sulpher 0.22% . . Iron 31mgs / Kg . .
Manganese 121mgs / Kg. . Cobalt 1.5mgs / Kg Boron 2.5mgs / Kg . . Cadmium 1.9mgs / Kg Chromium 0.1mgs / Kg . .
Lead 14mgs / Kg. . Nickel 2.2mgs Kg

All of which are trace elements and minerals which suplement the soil, and help biological action to condition and enrich the soil, which in turn releases trace elements and minerals to nourish produce, cereals, corn, fruit and flowers, lawns and pastures.

Calcium - Cell structure of plant

Magnesium - Photosynthesis, enzyme system of plant, and phosphate utilisation by plant

Iron - Photosynthesis

Manganese - Photosynthesis and seed formation

Copper - Correct growth and health of plant

Cobalt - Health of plant and essential for micro-organisms that fix nitrogen

Boron - For uptake and utilisation of calcium and nitrates and carbohydrate production in the plant

Sodium - (salt) for potassium utilisaton

Sulpher - For the production of the essential amino acids, cystine and methionine, linked with nitrogen
Farming

Calcified seaweed is recommended for cereals, grass, roots, brassicas, orchards and vines.

It is better, safer, healthier, longer lasting and cheaper.

edit  My apologies! I didn't notice that.........the offending part has now been removed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 20:55:58 by The gardener »

The Gardener

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 13:07:43 »
So to sum up - Calcified seaweed or Seaweed meal?

Either/Or can be used without worry?

Or should I just stick to simple grass cuttings?

I really don't know now what to do...just get them planted without anything and see how we get on...at least its a starting point for future experiments!!!

Confused tattie grower

Les

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 13:37:15 »
The point I was making with the article I displayed was;

Calcified Seaweed is a fertiliser

Seaweedis a bulky moisture retaining product, giving a similar effect to farm yard manure.

Seaweed meal I have never come across, but would guess it is similar to bonemeal so that would make it a fertilser too.

So to come back to the original question about 'beasties' you will have to go along with the grass cuttings,Rhubarb, or The Sun.

Personally I use nothing and take my chances, and simply grow beastie resistant varieties.

The choice is yours.............
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 13:38:00 by The gardener »

The Gardener

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 14:35:17 »
Thanks to The Gardener :)

I now have the confidence to get on with it..

The soil is good so its grass clippings for half and absolutely nothing for the rest.

Les

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 16:01:50 »
So sorry to confuse, Les.

Just in case anyone else is lost, let me stress that calcified seaweed is, as its name suggests, strongly alkaline & is only useful on an acid soil. It would NOT be a good thing on average soil.

Neither product is strong in nutrients. = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 20:39:43 »
  I would like to point out that the posted information about calcified seaweed comes direct from the home page of a company standing to profit by it's sale. As a refugee from unending, and unendingly erronous, information quoted from one book am I (or is it we?) now to be subjected to verbatim, uncritical, transcriptions of promotional materials of for profit companies? Dan?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal