Author Topic: Crash, Bang, Wallop!  (Read 1885 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Crash, Bang, Wallop!
« on: August 17, 2006, 17:12:59 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We have thunder!

Lots of rain!

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Crash, Bang, Wallop!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 17:39:39 »
The thunder has arrived in Preston, rain no doubt close behind.

Just as I have to brave 50miles on the M6. >:(
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 18:45:13 »
It landed here mid afternoon, hopefully it will have got past York by 9:30 pm when I am going up to MIL's...
 ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 21:05:15 »
We had a few rolls of thunder, some extremely black skies, and a heavy shower. The soil's still dry just under the surface.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 23:01:56 »
Took the kids out for lunch today - (their Thursday treat whilst on their hols is to go somewhere different for lunch every Thursday - has to be a restaurant mind  :-\) - and we had just sat our bums down in Pizza Hut (junk food of choice at the moment), and boy did the heavens open!  Almost looked like hail it came down so hard.  Lasted a good 20 minutes.

Promised them a picnic at the allotment tomorrow for lunch....no rain please!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 00:14:49 »
Well, predicted a torrent but had  not a drop today.  Hopefully tonight we'll have some rain .     oooooo errrr, as I type I hear thunder.  I can but hope.....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 21:08:51 »
I'm sure I posted on this thread before the interruption. I'd barely got to the plot on Friday when the skies turned black, and it started raining. A thunderstorm began, and closed in until one of the last flashes was virtually overhead. Rain was torrential at times, but mostly merely heavy. Just before the end of it, I suddenly found myself ankle deep in water; it was coming up through the shed floor.

I thought a major flood was beginning, but it never quite came over my flood bank at all; rather, it seemed to be coming through it somehow. That explains why the shed is so badly hit in every flood! It's falling down anyway, and badly needs relpacement. I need to build up the lowest bit of the flood bank, where it was cut away by the workmen who rebuilt my neighbours' bank after it collapsed a few years back; he's 91, and obviously couldn't do it himself. It looks as though the next section firther down his plot is due to go in the next couple of years.

Round the rest of the site, I couldn't see any flooding apart from a very little on my neighbour's plot, which is very low lying. It was starting to flood the playing fields above us, but it never got to the point of coming over the lane. As far as I could make out, we had an inch or so of rain in an hour or so. I just wish I'd had the camera, but my daughter's taken it to London for a wedding.

Yesterday, I was doing a bit of digging after further rain overnight, and the soil was bone dry a couple of inches down, while the stream was only running weakly. There was rain again overnight, and it's a bit damper today, but I'm still finding dry soil with a trowel.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 22:09:57 »
We have thunder again. The storm went overhead a while ago, the rain is torrential, and I've a horrid feeling I'll have been flooded this time. I've been using some subsoil someone dumped at the other end of the site to raise part of the flood bank, but I'm not hopeful when I look at what's coming down.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal