Author Topic: Green manure  (Read 2927 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Green manure
« on: September 24, 2003, 20:52:08 »
I have read that you are sowing green manure now....but this is something I know nout about! When do you sow it, what do you sow, where do you get it from and once it is growing....then what????????  I figure as my lottie has very well drained, stoney, almost dusty soil, it could really benefit from something.  I have started incorporating compost in, but splitting what I have at home between my garden and the lottie, I am about to run out and have only done a small portion.  Also, does it mean this area has nothing else grown on it for a season?  So many manure questions...and not a mention of poo anywhere!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Hugh_Jones

Re: Green manure
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 02:54:55 »
It`s probably getting a bit late in the season for green manuring now, but basically the idea is that as soon as a particular crop has finished you sow the appropriate plant seeds, then dig in the resulting plants before they can set seed - i.e. sow in late summer and dig in late autumn.  This allows the green manure time to break down in the soil before spring planting.

As to what you sow, this depends to a large extent on what crops are to follow.  Old favourites were mustard, rape, lupins, field beans, clover etc.  However you would, for instance, not want to sow mustard or rape where you intend to follow with brassicas, nor beans where any other legumes are to follow.  You should be able to get a full list of available subjects from the RHS site, the HDRA site, or some of the many other organic sites on the internet with details of which crops they may safely precede.

Alternatively, if tim is listening he will no doubt be able to supply you with a list.  Personally I just cover the abundant chickweed with black polythene every autumn.

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal