Author Topic: Thunder flies in laptop!  (Read 2131 times)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
Thunder flies in laptop!
« on: August 03, 2006, 15:44:36 »
Hi to all the computer experts on A4A, can someone help?

I have two storm flies, or thunder flies as they are sometimes known, inside my laptop screen! We have been plagued by them for the last month or so and I had no idea they could get into places like this, but there they are, looking like little random commas under the top layer of my screen.............................anybody any ideas how to remove them, or will they just gradually decompose and fade from view?

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/thysop.htm
Kathi :-)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Thunder flies in laptop!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 20:41:08 »
What a bizarre story !

I will hazard a guess at a possible solution. Assuming that you can not use your laptop for a designated period close it up and put it in an area of bright light. The thunder flies will try to escape to the light, and hopefully find their way out. If that fails, then the outcome you suggested may be the solution. The alternative is to see if you can detach the screen from the case ... but that may be easier said than done.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 21:06:35 »
I only do bizarre!

They fllies appear to be very dead! have not moved for a whole day, so I think that waiting might be the 1st option, we'll see how that goes  ;D
Kathi :-)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 14:20:39 »
prink. look in John's toolbox for a suitable gadget. ::)

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 18:55:18 »
One appeared in the OH flat screen monitor.  According to some the newsgroups he reads there would seem a few people are suffering from this.  He got rid of his with the bright light method.  He put a bright table lamp behind the monitor.  One theory is that some eggs where in the material used for sealing the unit.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 19:10:58 »
I have it too - for the first time. But I did get them in my PSION Organiser.

Cannot understand how they can get into a sealed unit??

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 08:16:34 »
Millenium bugs ?  ;D

I think I`d vacuum the keyboard and around any sockets or vents. And give the whole thing a wipe with proper computer cleaning wipes. (You can also get min-vacs for cleaning electrical gadgets). I`m thinking that as well as sucking them out you might also take away the food source.

Don`t vacuum the innards because the static from the airflow might damage your chips. I sometimes use a soft brush to sweep out pcs without problems though.

I bring all sorts of creatures home with allotment produce, they mostly head straight for the windows so the light thing sounds good.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal