Author Topic: Can I Grow It In A Pot?  (Read 2577 times)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Can I Grow It In A Pot?
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:30:25 »
I would like to  grow a Rose New Dawn in my new garden, but have discovered that what we thought was a border, is only 1ft deep, covering an old concrete base. Has anyone grown this rose in a pot? And how has it done? Thanks :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Can I Grow It In A Pot?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 09:58:34 »
Hi Cookie, yes I had one in a pot for about 18 months.  It was bought as a pressie when we had the house up for sale and no way was I leaving it behind.  I repotted it from the pot it came in, up to a large pot about 24 inches across.  The only problem was keeping it sufficiently watered.  Usual problem, when the compost drys out its a b****r to get it soaking up again.  Worth a try though with a bigger pot, and maybe John Innes No 3.  I would also put a slow release fertiliser in too,  chicken pellets or blood, fish and bone meal.  Best of luck.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:37:45 »
Leaving sufficient room at the top of the pot for top-dressing with w/r every year? I kept 2 very vigorous Iceberg roses in tubs against a wall and they flourished abundantly for abt 5 years - until I had to move them into the open ground, in fact,  where they continue flourishing, so certainly no signs of stress there.

Go for it, cookie, but like Mimi writes, make sure the pot's big enough for further growth.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 12:58:19 »
Thanks for your advice, I Didn't want to buy the rose only to kill it of.!!!!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 16:05:55 »
Cookie, stand the pot in a plant saucer and keep well topped up. Good luck. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal