Author Topic: And they're off... the toms come rolling in  (Read 2176 times)

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
And they're off... the toms come rolling in
« on: August 02, 2006, 14:21:20 »
We've been nibbling at bits and bobs of ripe fruit for much of July but as August begins the majority of the tomatoes are starting to come right... I picked a 'tasting tray' for a neighbor and here's a little snap of it..

From left to right...
Santa. This is (I believe) an F1 hybrid... we grew these from saved seed from something a visitor brought over when they came on holiday here last year.. it's come (almost)  true to the parent fruit but has a much more distinct Italian plum tomato shape/taste/feel. A nice cherry style hybrid.
Gardeners Delight. Very very sweet, very tough skins. Huge tresses. Makes great salsa.
Golden Sunrise. A little bit blond, nice to look at, not much substance.
Money maker. Excellent flavour, bit pippy.
Tigerella. An RHS gongwinner with excellent flavour with good acidity, stands up really well in a simple salad with a robust dressing.
Rosa. (Top right) A little bit difficult to see in this snap but they are the classic fruit in tins of Italian plum tomatoes. We've got tons of these. Very few pips, loads of flesh, not much juice. Will be the backbone of the sauces that get made to see us through the winter.
Marmande (Bottom right). Second (and final) year I'll be growing these. These have great flavour but for it to develop they really must be left on the vine until the last minute and the best tasting ones won't be ready for a month or more. Good for late season fruits but I guess impractical for outdoor growing in the UK.

There are more.. we've grown (I think) ten varieties this year.. 'Ailsa Craig' and 'Aunty Madge' aren't quite ready yet. This lot are all outdoor grown, all raised from seed we've saved/bought and started off in late January indoors. I've not used any tomato feed on them at all.. just a smattering of 'nettle soup' as the plant was growing up, seems to do the trick and as we've 70+ plants we've more than enough to be going on with.

- Adrian

sallyann

• Not So New ...
Re: And they're off... the toms come rolling in
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 14:31:46 »
Wow, they look fantastic!

I am growing tomatoes for the first time this year, Gardeners Delight and Golden Sunrise. It is nice to see what they should look like, mine are still small and green  :-\

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 15:22:50 »
It''ll be a while before I can equal that, Adrian. Nice!

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 15:51:44 »

Golden Sunrise. A little bit blond, nice to look at, not much substance.

I thought that this sort of blonde joke should be in the watershed! ;D
Kathi :-)

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 17:15:03 »
lovely looking toms, Adrian! Mine are still green...
This year it's squash.

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 18:22:18 »
Gorgeous!
We picked about 2kg of toms yesterday, but nothing like your Marmande.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 00:58:53 »
What a lovely display.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:22:35 »
very pretty.  i'm looking forward to trying a few different varieties next year when i've got a bigger freezer  ;D

will definitely try the Tigerella.  smart looking fruit.

my gartenperles are just turning but the totems are ages away yet.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:55:09 »
If you have access to HSL "Tangella" an orange fruited tom from the same series as Tigrella is excellent. Got Sungold, Fox Cherry and Pot Leaf White ready at the moment... and a Whippersnapper.. all the foliage has died down leaving a small pot of tumblers... oh and some Sub Arctic Plenty...
 ;D

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 08:44:09 »
 Hi adrian,  :D
                         great selection, just one query, top right you say is rosa don`t  you mean roma  ???  I have these , not quite ripe yet but very big fruits & masses of them.
                        Another Adrian.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 11:14:46 »
May I join the club, Adrian?

Spurred on by your show, I searched around - not the same quality but we'll get there!!

Can't ever get an example of each in one go.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 08:32:19 by tim »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 11:20:28 »
Great looking tomatoes everyone.  They have obviously enjoyed the hot weather this year.  My tomato crop is doing well too, but I must try some of the more unusual varieties next year. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 19:36:52 »
Hi adrian,  :D
                         great selection, just one query, top right you say is rosa don`t  you mean roma  ???  I have these , not quite ripe yet but very big fruits & masses of them.
                        Another Adrian.

Oops, slight slip of the consonant! Yes, they are Roma and not Rosa. The names are a big source of confusion when we're growing so many here... I know them as 'the italian ones'!

Rest assured that next year, I'll be growing twice as many plants as I have this year - they're excellent!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 08:48:37 »
What a lovely show, Adrian, (and btw anyone who's not got Adrian's bellebouche blog in their faves is missing a big big treat) :D

I've grown Tigerella Mr. Stripey for the 1st time this year and it's going to be one of my favourites and only in part because I loved the name...done a quick check, KP, and I've seeds enough to share with you next year. All fruiting & being eaten now 8)

Agree about the impracticality of growing Marmande on successfully outdoors here most years, but they're still a good g/house variety; M & SuperM are my best beef toms.

And big grins at Prink's post ;D

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 08:56:35 »
Beautiful tomatoes, thanks for sharing!

I may give a couple of the ones Adrian posted a go next year!

I have eaten only two small Moneymaker tomatoes, but I'm in Stockholm and it was snowing on April 7th, so I think I'm doing well!

Keep the photos and descriptions coming!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 15:39:46 »
What a lovely show, Adrian, (and btw anyone who's not got Adrian's bellebouche blog in their faves is missing a big big treat) :D

Alishka, how very kind!

I was taking a peak at the tom patch this morning whilst barrowing around some old manure to mulch on top of a bed of beans I've just pulled up.... the marmandes are looking good and are responding well to some renewed sunshine... however for big 'stuffable' toms they're no good - I think I'll try somthing else a little bigger for next year..

I've seen a variety here called 'coeur du boeuf' they're very large, a little elongate and properly heart shaped... they tend to leave a little corona of yellow at the stalk end which is also attractive... never tasted one mind.. but I will seek one out if I can.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 16:00:03 »
2 things, Adrian -
Isn't it annoying that the calyx so often comes off when picking for a photo?
What a great idea using a diggy thermometer for the compost? So obvious but never thought of it!

Marmande, Lishka? Was always taught that it needed to be outdoors for pollination. Some breeders still say this. But I see that others say either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 16:02:32 by tim »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 16:11:53 »
I didn't know that, Tim, and no-one's told my toms (thankfully!) Going to be a really good crop this year.  But the 'house door is open during the day and enough of those little wasp/hornet-type flying things in and out to do the bizz?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal