Author Topic: Butternut Squash  (Read 4245 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 08:29:13 »
Thanks all for the replies on BNS.  I spoke to my mum yesterday and she's going to leave it on the plant for a while but keep an eye on it - don't want to loose it now!  Haven't checked mine for a few days........ :-\
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 10:32:45 »
You normally leave the skins to harden but they can be eaten at any time. Mine got off to a slow start, and haven't produced a female flower yet.

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 16:33:40 »
Although be careful about leaving them to harden in a warm sunlit place - ours were late last year so when it started to get really damp and cold they were still not completely ripe - so we put them in our greenhouse to ripen off and harden the skins off for storage - only they kept on getting riper and riper and riper until - they were too ripe! They did what all fruit does eventually and started to rot - make sure you get them somewhere cool and dark once they are ready - we lost about 10 butternuts last year like that!!

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 21:27:57 »
Sorry to be a bit dense but does that mean that I can take the fruits off my squash now that are big enough and ripen them, allowing some of the smaller fruits to grow bigger.  I have 3 monsters which are great but I don't want them bigger (only 2 of us!).

Thanks!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 23:23:19 »
If you don't want to eat them now, they're probably best left on the plant.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal