Author Topic: recipe needed - marrow chutney please  (Read 5930 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
recipe needed - marrow chutney please
« on: July 26, 2006, 19:50:49 »
help, my courgettes have gone barmy and I have loads of marrows - my mum thinks that my nanna used to make marrow chutney, but she has no idea how - any one know ?

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
Re: recipe needed - marrow chutney please
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 20:27:26 »
Hiya mc55, you could try this recipe nelow, it says it is for courgettes, but should be fine, I made 2lb courgette and apple chutney and 2lb courgette and apricot chutney. basically just boiled up courgettes and fruit with 3/4 pint vinegar and 2oz sugar and added whatever spices I felt like, interesting to see how they come out

good luck and enjoy experimenting!

Courgette Chutney                Veg  CD   ACC

Vegetarian  Vegetable  Cold  Accompaniment  Pickles Preserve  Preserves  Preserving

Ingredients
1.3kg/3lb Courgette  (Zucchini), thickly sliced
3kg/6lb 6oz Onion , thinly sliced
salt
1L/40fl.oz. White Wine Vinegar
250g/9oz White Sugar
2 teasp celery seeds
2 teasp turmeric
5cm/2 inch  Freshly Grated Ginger Root
2 teasp Mustard Powder
1 tbsp Mustard Seeds

Instructions

1. Place the Courgettes and onions in a large bowl, sprinkle liberally with salt,  cover with water and allow to stand for 1 hour. Drain thoroughly.

2. Place the remaining ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then add the vegetables to the pan and stir well. Simmer gently for 1 hour.

3. Meanwhile prepare the jars (see notes below).

4. Bring the mixture back to the boil then spoon into warm jars whilst still hot, cover, seal and label (see notes below).

Notes:    see also General preparations

Jars - Use jars which are free from cracks, chips or flaws – the best sizes to use are 450g/1lb although 1kg/2lb jars can be successfully used for pickling fruit/vegetables.  Prepare the jars by washing well in warm soapy water and rinsing thoroughly. Dry the jars in a cool oven (140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1).  Fill whilst still warm to prevent the jars from cracking when the hot filling is added.

Filling and covering the jars –  Fill to within 1cm/ ½ inch of the top.  Whilst still hot,  cover with a waxed disc (wax side down) ,  immediately place a cellophane cover over the top then cover with a screw top lid.

Storage – Store in a cool dark place for 2-3 months before consuming.

Kathi :-)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 13:07:31 »
How about the classic marrow and ginger jam? I'll got a recipe I can dig out and post if you'd like it.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 17:59:45 »
The following recipe came from this site www.riverford.co.uk/recipes its a really useful site.We have just made the chocolate courgette cake thanks to someone posting the recipe and site on here.Thankyou to whoever it was and I hope this helps  ;D.
marrow chutney
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients

3lb marrow
1lb onions
1lb ripe tomatoes
1 pint malt vinegar
4 oz dates
2tsp allspice
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ lb brown sugar

Instructions

1. Peel the marrow and cut into small chunks. Peel and chop or mince the onions. Peel and slice the tomatoes.

2. Put all these ingredients in a pan with half the vinegar. Stone and chop the dates and add to the pan. Simmer gently until soft and pulpy and the marrow can easily be crushed. Add spices, pepper and salt and simmer for a further 15 minutes.

3. Stir in the sugar and remaining vinegar. Continue cooking until thick (No liquid should ooze into the path made by the wooden spoon as it is drawn cross the pan).

4. Pour into warm jars with plastic or plastic coated metal lids.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 21:32:20 »
Thanks guys - Triffid I'll pm you my address for the jam recipe.

Thanks
mc

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 19:23:43 »
Marrow and ginger jam recipe, as requested (thought I'd post it here in case it's useful for other people with marrow gluts!)

this makes about 5lb

4lb marrow
3lb sugar
the juice & finely grated rind of 2 lemons

(OR ditto of 2 oranges, if you have a sweet tooth)
4oz very finely chopped crystallised ginger

Dice the marrow small and put into a large bowl, layered with the sugar. Cover and leave for 24 hours in a cool place so it can get to know itself.

Then... put all the ingredients into a jam pan on a gentle heat. Stir it well until the sugar has all dissolved.

Bring to the boil, and keep it boiling until the marrow is tender and translucent (about 45 mins or so).

Hope you've got your sterilised jars warmed and waiting, because your jam is now done!

BTW, this makes a great filling for tarts; I also use it as a layer in mixed-fruit crumble.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 19:29:46 by triffid »

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 20:48:49 »
Do you think (or know even!) if you can make chutneys etc.. from marrow/ courgettes that have been frozen? just not sure when I will find the time but this sounds fab, sp thinking I culd freeze some for later in the year?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal