Author Topic: Crop Rotation - Cabbages  (Read 826 times)

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
  • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
Crop Rotation - Cabbages
« on: August 02, 2006, 21:39:13 »
This might sound a bit daft but I just need someone to clarify for me - if I sow some spring cabbage seeds now ready for transplanting in September, do I plant them in the bed that I have allocated for brassicas next year or do I plant them in this year's bed?????

I ask this because I will also be planting some summer cabbage and brussel sprouts next year

I hope I'm making some sense and not just rambling ??? ???

Thanks

Linda.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Crop Rotation - Cabbages
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 21:41:06 »
The choice is yours ...  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 22:13:46 »
if you have space on this years brassica plot then put them there keeping in mind that they will take up this space for a long time and come next year you might be wanting to plant root vegetables in this year's brassica plot - I tend to put my spring cabbages in next year's brassica plot and leave enough space for other brassicas to join them next year

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
  • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 22:23:27 »
Thanks Calendula, that makes a lot of sense.

In next year's bed they'll go!!

Linda :D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 23:09:01 »
i have two brassica beds - one for long standing overwintering stuff - should be cleared by about april
one for short term stuff - broccoli and the like, which is mostly cleared in late autumn by the first frosts.
as i move my rotation around, the roots that follow are also divided into long term and shorter term ones, so i have some that need to go in early (in last tear's short term brassica bed), and othr things can go in later (in last year's long term/overwintering bed)

this also works for the bean bed - where the o/w stuff is onions, leeks and garlic, followed by french beans in early summer, and the other bed (cleaned in the previous autumn) takes early broad beans and peas, followed by suqashes or more peas later on.

it seems to work ok this way (and my brain doesnt hurt too much)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal