Produce > Non Edible Plants

Hollyhocks

<< < (2/3) > >>

teresa:
Hi are yours in pots and what size? Next door want some seeds well she has just started gardening again  8)since we moved in a cut down a big tree she has light in the garden. So might be safer to give her them growing in pots. Teresa

allotment_chick:
The seeds were sown in a big module about 2 inches x 3 inches.  When I prick them out (which might be quite soon if they carry on growing fast!) they will go into rootrainers. They should be OK in those until the spring, when I'll plant them out direct.  If you don't have any rootrainers, you could try modules, perhaps?  

teresa:
AC, how about loo roll cartons I have loads use them for sweet peas on damp peat do they have tap roots? Teresa

allotment_chick:
Hi Teresa
As the root business is critical in relation to what you does pot them into,  I feel a bit of research coming on!I've no idea if they've a tap root or not.  Leave it with me......

OK - here is the news!
- Hollyhock is a member of the mallow family
- They were an old herbal cure for sunburn (a compress of the leaves was applied)
- an infusion of the flowers was used to treat sore throats

Did I find any reference to their roots?  No, I did not.  However, as they are members of the mallow family I suspect they do have tap root, so the loo roll suggestion seems sound to me!

teresa:
thanks AC for the info will get going.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version