Author Topic: Problems with Outlook Express  (Read 2575 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Problems with Outlook Express
« on: August 02, 2006, 19:12:46 »
Help! I don't know why, I've done a full check with AVG & no viruses have been found, BUT...

For the past 2 days OE has gone bananas. Mail is taking more (sometimes much much more) than half an hour to arrive - and when it does it arrives in double-figure multiples - day before yesterday, for instance, when it first went wrong, 3 messages generated an in-box of almost 60 new mails. :o
Similar delays in sending mails, but only 1 message, thankfully, arrives at its destination.

Test mails between my yahoo + hotmail accounts are instant & without anyprobs.

Test mails from my OE to Y & H are long delayed.
Test mails from Y & H to OE are long delayed & again arrive in multiples.

1) Whatever can I do to put it all back right again?...or..
2) Can I set up another..........host?......whatever you call it?.....to take the mails for/from my tiscali account?

OR!!!!....the plot thickens  :o....might the problem be with tiscali, my ISP, itself?

As you can see, I'm going round in circles ::)....please can someone straighten me out?  8)

Thanks for any suggestions, Lishka

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Problems with Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 20:53:13 »
Can't imagine you being anything less than your normal cool! ;)
Haven't a clue what the problem is though. Sorry :-[ :-[ :P

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 09:07:05 »
Sounds more like a problem with the hosting service.  There have been power cuts and issues at a major hosting company somewhere down south which has messed up some ISP's.

is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 09:21:08 »
You have an email stuck in the system that needs deleting.

What happens is ......

Your computer talks to the hosts server and they verify each other , they send all the messages and then handshake and say goodbye.

The handshake is basically a " all messages have been received confirmation thingy"
(apologies for dimming this down but don't want to go all techie) all messages are then thought to be downloaded (as copies) so the originals are deleted from the server.

If for some reason eg a corrupt email, the handshake fails the system disconnects but the emails remain on the server. Therefore you have received copies but the mails are still there for download. As the protocols failed they loop round and try downloading emails again and again and again etc this is why you get endless messages.

Hope that makes sense.

Here's how to fix it.

You need to go to your server manually (not via OE) and delete either the duff message (which one is anyones guess but usually the earliest) from your mailbox. Its sometimes easier to empty the box completely if there are no important mail in there.

Looking at your mailbox depends on your ISP. If it's someone like Orange (ex wanadoo,ex freeserve) you can go online to their homepage and access the mail via a browser. If not go to www.mail2web.com select advance log in and delete your mail from there. If you use mail2web you will need your email account information including logon password and pop3 details. These can be found in OE by going to tools accounts properties

Phew hope this helps

Ian

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:33:11 »
Strange that ??? mine was out of order for nearly a day, I'm with "Telewest" on start up I got a 4" square window red white and blue bands on a black squiggly lined background saying...
"Signal out of range

HS 8AK 
VS 98HZ

"Signal safe range"

HS 80 : 80 ODK
VS 98 : 789 HZ

Load of gobbledegook to me but it came back the next day ::)

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 09:35:14 »
Sorry AM missed the bit about Tiscalli - you can check/delete your mail from here

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/login/index.php?url=/commscentre/email/index.php

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 09:39:24 »
Thanks for explaining that Glow ... I also use OE, and find it perfect for my requirements but get lost when faced with problems like that.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 09:40:32 »
Roy

This is your monitor loosing its connection with your PC.

Either your monitors on its way out or you have a loose connection on the back.

Just to check undo the cable from your monitor - PC at the PC end with the monitor switched on. You should get the same type of error. Put it back in again and all should be OK. This could also be caused by a faulty graphics card.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 09:51:42 »
Thanks Ian, my service provider said to check the monitor plug which I did and made no difference, my next move was to change the monitor as I have a spare, but didn't need to as it righted itself.

I presume if the graphics card is at fault it will have to be replaced, or can I just dust it down ??? Does the graphics card have anything to do with the TV I have plumbed in ??? as that froze on me a few days ago. ::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:46:14 »
Whew! Many many thanks Glow - how cool are you? 8)

Last night it appeared to have righted itself - just like that? I blame the weather ;D - or the Russians ;D ;D (showing my age, there...comes from the time where everything was blamed on the Russians!). Anyway, this morning I deleted all my inbox & checked via the link to Tiscali & all seems OK.

And thank you for the clear explanation. You've given me the confidence to post my NEXT problem.....watch this space... ::)

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 14:52:02 »
Whew! Many many thanks Glow - how cool are you? 8)

not very according to my kids!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal