Author Topic: Pampas grass  (Read 1522 times)

rutters

• Half Acre
Pampas grass
« on: October 10, 2006, 22:57:18 »
Anyone know when they seed and what they look llike?

Gonna jump over my neighbours fence when they're ready..

cheers
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Pampas grass
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 23:46:36 »
i would not put pampas grass in my garden - have you not heard the urban legend?

Pampas grass = SWINGERS!

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 00:37:38 »
 :o :o Ive got 1 behind my shed :o :o I need to kill it anyone got any tips??
Worried my neighbours might think we are swingers now !!!!!  ;D ;D
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:11:37 »
i've heard a lot of people bad mouthing pampas. i know it's a tough old thing to kill....but isn't that a good thing? it's beautiful.

it's not like it self seeds allover the garden. ok so it spread really quickly....but you can dig out the outer ring and seperate them into new plants.

i know pretty much every garden has one now. But the one i've got in my garden....whicvh should hopefully flower in the next couple of years is a pink pampas....with pink flowers :)

but no idea when the seeds are ready though.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:26:11 »
In the right context, I think they can look lovely, though I'd usually chop the flowers off at first sign of them. You're best off bribing someone with a big plant to divide theirs.. I imagine it would take yeeeears from seed.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:36:13 »
Er, so what does that make us with 9 of them?
Growing from seed is not really worth the effort. Most of the time the flower quality of seed grown ones is very poor compared to the named varieties on sale. Here they self seed all over the place and we have to weed them out rather often, before they get big.
If you really must, then the time to collect and sow the seed is when the birds start stripping them off the stalks, say from now on?
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal