Author Topic: Using A Hose Pipe On The Allotment.....  (Read 15887 times)

Crusher

• Not So New ...
  • I love Alliums....
    • HASAS
Using A Hose Pipe On The Allotment.....
« on: July 30, 2006, 18:14:30 »
Please note, before anyone shoots me down, I do not use the hose pipe on the allotment...!

But, I did a little experiment the other day and I counted how long it takes to fill my watering can (3 mins approx) using the hose pipe. Using this timing I would have to water each of my double beds for 6 mins using the hose to account for the 2 watering cans of water I currently give them. I do not believe that I would actually stand at each bed for 6 minutes so I reckon that I actually use more water using watering cans from the mains filled butts.

Anyone have any similar thoughts.

On a similar train of thought, the restrictins on using a hose pipe in my garden does annoy me some what. Like most of you, our gardens have been established over many years with the cost running in to hundreds of pounds, maybe even thousands and I do not want to see all that hard earned cash and time thrown away. Whilst I apprciate that we all need to do our bit to conserve water, for those of us who do not have water meters, we see no reduction in our water rates so why should I reduce my average consumption. Especially when Thames Water is losing thousands of galons every day in leakages. Rest assured I am reducing my consumption and have water butts cropping up in my garden and over the allotment everywhere, but as I a say do feel a little peeved at this...! As you can probably tell by now.

RANT OVER.... >:(

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Using A Hose Pipe On The Allotment.....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 19:20:43 »
1. how often do you water with the watering can vs with the hose pipe? i.e. last year when using the hose, did you water every day? twice weekly? how often do you now water with the cans?

i water little anyways but my allotment neighbours are only watering once or twice a week now - giving a good soaking with the can. rather than every evening for a sprinkle. i think the plants do better with a soak now and then than with constant light sprinkling.

2. just because you do not have a meter and hence see no immediate personal benefit, shouldn't mean that water habits remain unchanged. i am pleased to hear that you are doing all sorts of things to conserve water - so are we. however, i would never say 'sod it, i'll waste water because so is the utility company' = this is a very irresponsible attitude.

the fact that thames water looses a lot of water in the ground due to leaks is not only to be explained with too little investment, but also the oldest water pipe system in the world and the sheer size of it. it does take time to replace all this - though i do agree they should up their investment pronto.

anyways, i believe in everyone doing their little bit - less egoism and more compassion is needed in this world :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 22:26:34 »
Thames water lose 894million litres of water a day according to ofwat.I know i shall be criticised here but if im honest i havent been using less water except not using the hosepipe for washing the car and my garden and even then i have given it the odd water with a hosepipe after dark.With the massive profits and the fact that Thames water are now using a helicopter to spot people using hosepipes i simply refuse to cut back.Yes it is deeply irresponsible but there profits keep going up and so does my bill yet we are supposed to use less water!!
Its not as if we live in a country with very little rainfall.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 23:52:33 by silly billy »
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 23:23:30 »
Switching to a water meter and therefore paying for what we use as a family of four actually halved our water bill.  Don't knock it before you've tried it.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 23:55:57 »
I definitely think I use far more water with the cans. ::)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 00:08:29 »
I've just done some tests with a flow meter on our allotment circuits. They vary between 550lt/hr and nearly a cubic metre an hour depending on which avenue and whether I  had a spray or an unrestricted hose. One of our gardeners uses 225 lt a day to water 68 tomato plants. I use 35lt a day for 24 plants using a can.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 00:10:05 »
Its not as if we live in a country with very little rainfall.

actually, we are
despite popular belief, we have less rain than a lot of europe that we think of as much drier than us.

Italy, for instance.

compare average rainfall for Uk southeast (615mm per annum) with rome (792.9mm pr annum), for instance.
Source: worldclimate.com

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 00:34:28 »
"Its not as if we live in a country with very little rainfall" (sorry -- don't know how to do the clever quote box thing)

We also have a greater population density than most countries in Europe.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 06:34:34 »
Switching to a water meter and therefore paying for what we use as a family of four actually halved our water bill.  Don't knock it before you've tried it.

Yes, now I've finally got a water meter, I have become much more careful at the 'tail-ends' of running the tap, washing veg etc. Surprising, as my previous house was metered and I wasn't so conscious, but that's how I knew my water bill would be halved if not more. Now I'm being careful I feel in a stronger position to be critical of corporate waste ::)

I did an experiment putting the hose pipe into the watering can to water in the g'house. The hose pipe won - it used more water and the can kept overflowing.

Trevor Holloway

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 13:28:58 »
One thing that occurs to me is that there is some flawed logic ;
1) "By installing a water meter you will be paying less", if everyone had one fitted, we will all be paying less and the revenues will go down for the water companies
2) the unit rate will go up because they will still need to invest and make profit.
3) Once the unit rate has gone up, people will cut down on use of water to cut their bills
4) the revenue will go down again,
5) go back to 2)

or am I missing some basic business points here ?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 16:52:30 »
Well Trevor you have a point, but you can also look at this the other way around.  If people, at least in the drought ridden south east ,don't cut down on their usage, and the Government go ahead with building 100,000 extra homes at Ashford, then the water companies won't have much water to flog to us and the price will inevitably go up anyway.  For us consumers it's a no win situation.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 19:35:12 »
what the water companies are saying is that whatever the unit price of water will be in the future, those on the meters will pay for what they use - whereas those without meters will pay really high estimates. they will do this to encourage everyone to have a meter installed so everyone can be responsible for their own use and hence their own bill.

it works the same for gas and electricity, trevor - doesn't it???

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 20:55:34 »
Please note, before anyone shoots me down, I do not use the hose pipe on the allotment

Why not?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 21:51:04 »

Why not?
[/quote]

Hosepipe ban??

mr plasma

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 22:00:36 »
if we have a hosepipe ban here i dont know how we are going to wash the mother in law :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 22:58:50 »
Hosepipe ban??

Yes, we too have a hosepipe ban at the moment but it is a domestic ban & does not include allotments, have you checked yours?

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 22:59:50 »
yes, we have. thames water does not permit the watering of allotments, specifically mentions this on their website/documentation.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 23:10:07 »
bugger

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 23:25:03 »
Mr Plasma, you made I laugh ;D ;D ;D  Luckily, since we've had a hosepipe ban since seems like forever, the MIL lives 250 miles away so we don't have the responsibility of hosing her down!  And hubby's sister and brother live closer...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 07:28:16 »
lol@plasma ;D
Twenty-five years ago we had just got our first house and installed a bidet (very racy for the time). My Nanna came to visit (dad's mum) and goggled at it, then broke into a broad smile and said "I can swill me feet in that!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal