Author Topic: Marrow recipes please - starter or main.  (Read 16579 times)

Hex

• Half Acre
Re: Marrow recipes please - starter or main.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 12:51:08 »
As requested a Vegan stuffed marrow, stolen from a similar thread on MSE.  I havent tried it. I am still haunted by childhood memories of a mince stuffed marrow inflicted on me by cruel and uncaring parents  ;)

Stuffed Marrow Rings

Ingredients:

1 large or 2 medium marrows

a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for coating

1 large onion

100g/4 oz/1 cup almonds

3 slices of bread

a good handful of fresh basil (or two teaspoons of dried herbs of your choice)

Preheat oven to 190C/380F. Cut the marrow into approx. inch/2cm rings. Cut out the seedy middles (off to the compost!) and peel if necessary (fresh from the garden ones don't need but older ones may be tougher) and rub with the olive oil. Lay on a baking tray. Combine the onion, nuts, herbs and bread in a food processor until it reaches a nice pate like consistency. Spoon this mixture into the rings and bake for about half an hour or until the marrow is beginning to go golden and soft.

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 20:42:54 »
Re Tims recipe.  When you fry off the mince and onions, add garlic, chilli, diced peppers and mushrooms to the mix.  Also throw in some chopped herbs out of the garden.  Also, I never peel them, coz when you bake 'em the skin just falls off.

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 15:24:50 »
I liketo stuff them with lots of couscous cooked up with onions, garlic and tomatoes. Yummy!
This year it's squash.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 15:49:13 »
Shas - agree, for most fresh ones. I think the recipe was thinking of ripe ones, which can be very leathery.

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 19:53:00 »
Tim,
We had one the night before last, stuffed as per my recipe.  Skin was too hard to peel (not from my clay baked allotment, I hasten to add, it was a pressie), and after about 50 mins the skin just fell off.  Tried to peel it initally, but nearly k******ed my spud peeler, so just shoved it in the oven, wrapped it in foil, and hoped for the best. Yummy!!!!!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 18:12:43 »
cut in to fingers or 1/2" discs  simply brushed with olive oil and bar b qued !

My favourite is 1 garlic clove crushed to a paste - mixed with tumeric and Hoi sin sauce and a little chilli (chilli heat to ur liking)
mix above and brush  on to cougette and bar b que
another member of i forgot my password

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal