Author Topic: Why did I plant that???  (Read 2959 times)

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Why did I plant that???
« on: March 29, 2004, 20:33:37 »
Hi all

It's fab (and a little alarming) reading about everything you've planted. I'm being terribly patient and waiting a bit for most, but I was wondering what the one thing you've planted is that is really a bit daft.

What I mean is.... I can't eat onions - not even a touch of them, garlic, leeks, the whole lot. BUT I've planted rows of the things . I tell myself it's companion planting, but deep down it's probably because

1 - I'm pretty sure they'll grow, so I'll feel all happy to watch something get bigger and

2- Can it be a realy plot without onions???

Am I sad or what?

Having said that, waiting to get the carrots and parsnips out at the weekend, start beans and peas in pots and my brassicas are coming along a treat!!

;D ;D

H_B

Hugh_Jones

Re:Why did I plant that???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 22:21:54 »
No, you`re not sad - just another gardener. We nearlyall of us at some time or another grow things we don`t really like or want, usually because if it`s growable we want to grow it. Don`t worry about it, and remember, you`ll get a lovely, warm, self satisfied glow when you take a barrowload of whatever it happens to be to the local church for the Harvest Festival.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 13:48:53 »
The daftest thing I did was to plant a baby vineyard-10 vines,after five years of fuss,bother and disease I ripped them all out.

Stephan.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 15:04:24 »
Hels - it seems no different to planting annuals - you don't eat them either! And the point is to enjoy growing. Having something to eat always seems secondary to me (let's face it, it's so much easier to buy veg from the shops!)
gone to pot :D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 17:10:50 »
mmm, i know what you mean. i am currently wondering why i wanted to grow 3 varieties of chillies and what the hell i'm going to do now all 46 seeds have germinated and are growing nicely!!

i can't eat chillies.... ::)

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 17:57:58 »
Village fetes, garden fetes, church fetes, WI if you're brave enough and the satisfaction that you have learned something new!

Is never wasted, might even get OH to take stall in local market on Friday or Saturday and earn extra dosh!  Never know what's around corner!  Stand outside your garden fence?  Got loads of goodies round here cos of peeps just putting up little stand outside their driveway!   :D
Muddy Boots

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 19:00:10 »
Hey All

You've given me new ideas - I'd never even thought of SELLING things - was going to give to friends, but I have a whole new train of thought now!

(Smilies not working for some reason, but picture a biiig happy face!)

How many onions do you think equal a new wheelbarrow?

HB

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal