Author Topic: Physalis  (Read 1513 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Physalis
« on: July 26, 2006, 23:42:31 »
Due to an error in germination control, I have tomatillo (physalis ixocarpa) and cape gooseberry (physalis edulis?) in the same row. Although the plants are very distinctly different - hence I know I made an error - visually the fruits appear indistinguishable. Will they change with time, so I can tell the difference, or will I need to be vigilant when harvesting, so as not to get them mixed up?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Physalis
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 23:47:40 »
If I remember rightly, Cape Gooseberry are orange and Tomatilla are red under the paper calyx lantern?
 ???

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:42:59 »
Hi Curry  :)

It depends exactly on your varieties. But by the time they are ripe you`ll be able to tell them apart. Expect more orange colours in the cape gooseberries and more purple (especially in veins of the outer skin even if no-where else) and green in the tomatillos.

Treat them both like toms for feeding, watering, and support and they`ll be fine.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Lizzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:44:51 »
How cool - I had no idea you could grow those in this country - did you grow them from harvested seed or did you buy them? And are they under cover or out in the open?

On the list for next year!

Lizzie

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:55:44 »
Hi Lizzie  :)

They will grow from harvested seed, just plant sticky lumps of seeds early in the year, or you can buy the seed (I`ll find an address later)

Start them off indoors and plant out at about 6 inches with a support.
Treat like toms.

Col

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:08:20 »
Due to an error in germination control, I have tomatillo (physalis ixocarpa) and cape gooseberry (physalis edulis?) in the same row. Although the plants are very distinctly different - hence I know I made an error - visually the fruits appear indistinguishable. Will they change with time, so I can tell the difference, or will I need to be vigilant when harvesting, so as not to get them mixed up?

So you can tell you have two kinds of plants but do not know which is which?

In my experience cape gooseberry are more upright and green and tomatillo more sprawling and branched.

But a principle difference is that tomatillos grow to fill the calyx, while cape gooseberries remain small within the calyx.

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:10:24 »
Hi Lizzie  :)

They will grow from harvested seed, just plant sticky lumps of seeds early in the year, or you can buy the seed (I`ll find an address later)

Start them off indoors and plant out at about 6 inches with a support.
Treat like toms.

Col

Support, really?

Mine seem happy without it.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:32:29 »
Thanks Amphibian. I am aware of which plant is which, but at the moment the fruits look the same and I was worried that if I can mix the plants up, then I might also mix the fruits up (much to my daughter's upset, since she would be the one eating the cape gooseberries).

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 08:36:24 »
Thanks Amphibian. I am aware of which plant is which, but at the moment the fruits look the same and I was worried that if I can mix the plants up, then I might also mix the fruits up (much to my daughter's upset, since she would be the one eating the cape gooseberries).

That wouldn't be nice.

My daughter loves physalis, I have had to give her very stern drilling that she must not pick them herself, what with their unripe toxicity, and all.

She once polished off 2kg of physalis over two days, I have grown 6 plants, just for her.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 17:41:06 »
I'm growing both! My cape gooseberry has velvet like large dark green leaves and the fruit is orange. I'm growing green and purple Tomatillos they have small lighter leaves! I've been told its very easy to save the seed but try not to let them sprawl unless you want 100's of plants next year!!! I'm trying my best to keep mine off the ground but its hard going!! Tough cookies!!!!

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 05:51:42 »
Hi all, Hi Amphibian  :)

Yep I`d use a cane or strings or grow them against a fence. What ever you have, but my plot is exposed to the prevailing winds and one squally night it will all end up in the river.

Col

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 00:01:07 »
may i ask a question regarding their sowing times, please?
it says on the packet sow in spring indoors, i.e. like i would with my tomatoes, peppers etc.
however, it then says 'plant into final gorwing position in the autum'. do they overwinter? will i not get a crop the first year then?

any ideas?

Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 00:09:18 »
I sowed mine mid April, planted outside end May, and fruit are forming as we speak ... not sure on the Autumn comment.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 00:11:15 »
yes, this is what it said on the seed packet though ???
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal