Author Topic: Sweetcorn  (Read 5037 times)

boxingtortoise

• Not So New ...
  • Growing up a storm
Sweetcorn
« on: March 29, 2004, 17:34:15 »
How do i grow sweetcorn? When do i need to plant it, in what type of soil?

I understand it is susceptible to badger attack also!!

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 17:41:01 »
This is my way;

*   Week 15; Prepare beds by digging in liberal amounts of well rotted manure or compost.

* Week 17; Sow seed in pots/trays of seed compost and germinate at a temperature of  18°C(65°F).

Germination should take about a week.

n.b. To assist germination soak seed in clean water for twelve to twenty four hours prior to sowing.

* Week 19; Pot up seedlings into 75mm (3") pots of potting compost, and gradually harden off in a frost free cold frame until planting out time.

* Week 22; Plant out in pre-prepared soil, 400-500mm (16"-18") apart in a sunny,sheltered location.

Apply a top dressing of a balanced fertiliser at a rate of 100gms (4oz) per sq. m prior to planting.

* Week 30; Keep weeds down by hoeing, taking care not to damage the surface roots.

Water regularly during the flowering (tassle) period, and as the cobs begin to swell.

Lay a mulch such as garden compost or straw, to reduce water loss from the soil.

In exposed areas ensure that taller varieties are supported.

* Week 39; Check the plants regularly and harvest the cobs as they ripen.

The cobs are ripe when the silks protruding from the end are dark brown.

Do not allow the cobs to get over-ripe, as this inclines to make them 'starchy' and less palatable.

Another sign of ripeness is the milky juice that exudes from the kernels pierced by a fingernail.

Use as soon as possible after picking, or freeze promptly.

This is an extract from my web site;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

The Gardener

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 18:13:06 »
and it is said to be better to plant in a block rather than a row as sweetcorn is wind pollenated.

When the plants are well grown you will see surface roots looking a bit like `fingers`-I earth up a bit at this stage and find it does improve the crop.

The point about not letting them get too ripe is well made-creamy yellow not the bright yellow you see in supermarket freezers.

Stephan.

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 20:50:48 »
I've had them damaged by something nibbling a few times and an open, windy site, so I cover them with open topped plastic bottles until they're looking sturdy. Seems to work  quite well and makes weeding easier at the beginning!

Good luck

H_B

PS The first time I grew them, the ears all got eaten by earwigs - very odd ???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 21:22:27 »
I plant mine through weed suppressing membrane, and grow a pumpkin under them!  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 22:30:52 »
Dunno what I would do without you DP.  I am going to grow mine with my squash this year, and I am going to grow some squash over a rather nice black arch I have.  

I have never ever ever grown sweetcorn successfully, but after lots of advice from you crowd, I know I am going to have a bumper crop this year......(fingers tightly crossed  :-\)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 22:54:39 »
This is great information as we are growing Sweetcorn this year too.  Our seedlings are just ready to be potted on.  Thanks all  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 22:56:41 »
Poooo BL!  Mine have only just gone in, not even germinated yet.  Is this my failure problem, am I too late?  :-\

jethro

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 08:04:33 »
I have just put 40 seeds in, a F1 hybrid, but we are always about 6 weeks behind you lot in the south for planting. I'm the same as you D-P i grow mine through a membrane, never thought of growing pumpkins underneath tho. Will i be able to grow the giant kind there as well or will they be too big?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 19:34:48 »
I've just sown 20 S'corn today. Possible 20 more tomorrow. Gonna make use of the new cold frames soon or I'll not get into the G'house.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 21:15:30 »
And I have found the tastiest way to eat them is freshly barbequed on the allotment for breakfast - yum yum  :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 21:27:26 »
I have a problem getting the Belgians to take sweetcorn seriously. It's grown in the fields round here (well, maize anyway) and is considered animal food only.) Different stuff I suppose, but it gets the same nose up as 'corn' generally. They don't know what they're missing.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 21:48:34 »
Beg, borrow, or even (God forbid!) BUY a mobile telephone.

- Phone home to get the pot of water onto the heat, pat of butter ready, and pepper grinder.
- Home phones you to let you know when pot is boiling (not nearly, not "looks like soon", but BOILING).
- Clear all your allotment stuff, ready to go home - every last bit needs to be packed away for home.
- Start car, and warm up.  Doors open.
- Phone home - is garden gate open?  Is front door open?

- Now is the only moment to relax.  Take it slow.  Wander back into the plot, as nonchalantly as you can - cut the cobs . . .  

And run like hell, into the car, down the road, screech to a halt at the gate, bolt through the front door, into the kitchen and straight into the pot.  (Not fit?  Not a fast driver?  DON'T grow sweetcorn!)

And in moments -------------- all the silly faff makes sense!  Bliss!  Only one problem - do it this way once, and you won't do it any other!

All best - Gavin

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 22:03:03 »
Gavin you have really whetted my appetite, - can't wait!  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 08:09:39 »
following on from Gavin, the other advice I've heard was to get a camping gaz burner - take the cooker to the sweetcorn!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 09:50:19 »
yep, gotta agree with ceri - the lasttimei had fresh sweetcorn (over 35 years ago), my dad had the pot on the boil before picking and it was a race to strip the silk and dump in the pot!
Fantastic - have never tasted the like since so i cannot wait.

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 14:11:58 »
Hi all, this is probably a really silly question, but do you only get one cob per plant? I like the mini sweetcorn, and was considering growing some next year, but if I only get one from each plant, I'd have to plant quite a number of them, right?

ta,
jams

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 15:25:12 »
It's not a silly question - I dodn't know what to expect at first. I'd seen all those US films and expected about 10 ears per plant. Well, it's not quite that good, but on full-size ones you can expect at least two in my experience. Must admit, don't know about baby ones though!

HB

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 15:40:37 »
Thanks HB, I enjoy the growing as much as the eating, so I'm sure I wouldn't be dissapointed with my crop :)

Has anyone here grown the mini sweetcorn?

james

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 18:11:25 »
yup Jammy, but complete failure, but I put that down to the fact that I just can't seem to grow the rotten stuff, and it isn't fair cos I love it soooooo much!  Checked on my corn today and finally I can see 2 have germinated.  2 for goodness sake.  Only another 28 to go.  Is it to late to sow another batch?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal