Author Topic: Pickling vinegar  (Read 7439 times)

lin

• Half Acre
Pickling vinegar
« on: July 27, 2006, 17:21:34 »
I just went into Asda for my pickling vinegar which I usually buy at this time of year for shallots and beetroot, but they say they have discontinued. So I was wondering if any of you pickle produce and what you use.

It seems logical you can just use ordinary vinegar, but I am sure added spices are a good idea. Meanwhile I shall check with the other big supers to see if they still sell pickling vinegar... or herb sachets that make ordinary vinegar tasty! Lin

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Pickling vinegar
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 17:41:28 »
You'll find pickling spice in the herbs and spices section. Just add that to vinegar.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 17:44:17 »
We shall be pickling our shallots for the 1st time this year and will be using the following
two litres of malt vinegar
125 grams of pickling spice
50 grams of root ginger
One small piece of cinnamon stick
One bay leaf
I got the recipe from the bbc website and the other recipes I have seen are pretty much the same.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 00:20:09 »
Thanks Silly Billy, think I will follow that recipe, will have a look for the spices and also check online how to prepare shallots, I have never done those before. Pickled plenty of beetroot, in fact still eating last years and its gorgeous!

My computer has just given up most of the ghost and is going away for 4 days to be given a good "seeing to"... I feel like my right arm is going to be chopped off... not going to be able to go online now till Tuesday.... oh well ... or should that be oh hell!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 00:46:06 »
Do try other kinds of vinegar too: wine vinegar (red or white) and sherry vinegar all make fantastic pickled onions and shallots.

Once you've heated your chosen vinegar and spices together, dab a little on a finger to taste -- if you like pickled onions and shallots with a bit of sweetness, now's the time to add sugar or honey. Go steady and taste as you add.

BTW, check the acidity of any vinegar you're planning to use -- it should be at least 5% or your pickles may be not get properly pickled!

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:07:10 »
Try this recipe for a truly fantastic result....these wont last long....I promise.. :P

2 large heads of Garlic
450g Shallots
1 Litre Cheap Balsamic vinegar
2 tsp soft brown Sugar
1 tsp pickling spice plus 1 dried Chilli and 1 Bay leaf

Brine solution containing 50g salt and enough water to cover garlic and shallots

place garlic and shallots in brine solution for 12 hours....rinse and pat dry.
place garlic and shallots in sterilised kilner jar or similar.
heat vinegar spices and sugar to simmering point and simmer for 5 minutes
allow to cool completely and pour over garlic and shallots.
You can leave the spices in the jar for a stronger, spicier flavour.
Now the hard part......leave for at least 3 months.
These are sublime with a good mature cheddar or Old Spot ham.
Dinger

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 00:09:12 »
A slight word of warning on buying vinegar.  Read the label and make sure that what you are buying is malt vinegar.

Some of the stuff, on reading the small print, is what is called non-brewed condiment.  All this is is asetic acid.  Aint the same thing as malt vinegar at all!!

I find it safest to stick to Sarsons.  No I don't get commission!!

valmarg

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 04:52:19 »
?? valmarg ?? 

According to Trading Standards, you can't label 'non-brewed condiment' as vinegar in chip shops or cafes. It can't even be sold in containers that customers would interpet as vinegar containers  ???  But are you saying it's different for shops?

BTW, don't get thrown by the name 'acetic acid':  real vinegars (including malt vinegar) are acetic acid, too (usually between 3 and 5%).

powerspade

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 06:30:26 »
Asda pickling vinegar is`nt all that good I get my supplies from our local corner shop they sell it in 2 gallon containers for £2.30

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 07:44:31 »
Sainsburys do a really cheap acetic acid that isn`t vinegar but its sold right next vinegar and its in the same type of bottle, so its worth a quick check. I`ve been using their brand of proper vinegar with mixed pickling spices.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 22:11:44 »
Oh dear triffid, I'm perhaps a bit out of date!!!

I have seen non-brewed condiment on sale in the 'not too distant past'.  I'm pleased Trading Standards are tightening up on this sort of thing.

I have seen it in small independent shops, but more often on market stalls.

Anyway, it's horrible stuff and makes you hard work pickling, etc a waste of time as it is soooo bitingly acid.  What my great aunt Polly used to say to describe it
'it draws your ass to your elbow'?

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 22:35:21 »
I suppose I'm spoilt in Birmingham; I get good vinegar from the Chinese supermarkets, where they always have a range of varieties.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 22:41:58 »
AH RB I assume you mean Wing Yip's.  We have been known to travel from North Staffs to stock up on oriental ingredients.  A fabulous place!!

(Sorry to go off at a tangent)

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 09:11:12 »
Among others, yes. That's the big one.

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:03 »
Thanks for all these replies, computer back online now.... and I think there is a Wing Yip in Manchester too, might try theirs. Wish I had brought all my drying onions and shallots back from the allotment yesterday and put them in my garage... it is bucketing down now, which is brilliant for the plot, but my onions will get soggy... hope it dries out again soon!

Am going to try a couple of different things, yours sounds good Dingerbell! Mind you I am just going to put them in ordinary jars, but sterilised in the oven just before... that's the way I have done my beetroot, and that has been okay. Want to do these shallots in small jars so they can go out as gifts at Xmas too!

By then my damson gin will be ready too... can't wait for the damsons to be ready for that!
Linda

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 13:57:24 »
Any Chinese supermarket will have several vinegars; if you have a Chinese community, go looking.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal