Author Topic: Good Morning!  (Read 3242 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Good Morning!
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:14:15 »
 ;D

Just back from the lottie. Been there since 6.30 this morning, got loads done and with nothing but birdsong to distract me! I burn badly in this heat so will not be able to go later.

Just wanted to say that it's a lovely day and it's great to be alive and lottying...

Ahem, coat on, leaving now... :-[

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Good Morning!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:19:26 »
morning katy :D awww bless
I was out on the razz last night so a little behind :-[ :P
but once I get down to the plot in half an hour or so - straw hat, gay bandanna, sunglasses, long sleeved T, gardening skirt, big black boots and factor 25 - it will be hard to leave too ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 09:21:10 by supersprout »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 11:17:04 »
But of course, katy, you use Sunbloc, like all the grand-children??

This is my reason for starting at 5am. Which I can do, being unemployed!

Sorry - just seen that Sprouty wears it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:19:27 by tim »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 12:12:18 »
 :(

Yup sunblock stops the burn, but not the nasty heat bumps and furious itching! So it's hello piriton and a day indoors catching up on housework til later this evening when I shall embark on round 2 of lottying!!

;)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 15:37:09 »
Been at my lottie since about 11 a.m. and it was red hot there.  Have just got back and the place was deserted this afternoon, just too much for everyone to cope with, even the breeze was hot.   However everything was looking very lush and fertile.  I put sunblock on and wore a sunhat and sunglasses, but came home with my face like a beetroot as usual! OH will go after tea, to water.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 17:32:32 »
Katy Had to dash out and get 2 pkts of piriton. FOR THE DOGS ;D ;D My dog Elsa and Lorna's dog Pepi both have allergies, we have both run out of tabs. Our vet said "I can prescribe something but it would be much more expensive, get some piriton" Not often you get a vet who is willing to save you money!! Hope it works for you :)
Lorna.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 20:14:52 »
Far too hot to work today; I sat in the shade and attempted to plait garlic.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 09:04:21 »
Arr, I wish it would rain. And I'm really hoping for a cooler day that I can get some work done on the lottie.. if I go out in these temperatures I'll melt. And of course, I chose the plot that was in full sun all day. :/

Feeling very guilty that I've not checked on me veg.. and I can't go in the mornings, because buses don't run that early. (And also, I'm not a morning person. :D)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 10:06:23 »
We had a couple of hours' rain only the other day, and things are starting to wilt again already. There are thunderstorms forecast, but I bet they miss us again.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 10:30:30 »
Thunderstorms? Any idea when? (Coventry here so I am local too). At least this dry weather will help with my weeding, as the resulting mulch will kill the weeds.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:37:15 »
Tonight, 'thro'' Thursday!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 14:27:33 »
The Met Office are forecasting two days of thunderstorms in Birmingham, so hopefully that should be enough to go round and give everyone a proper soaking.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 14:37:39 »
Well I went and did a bit of weeding at lunchtime, and was surprised to find the soil quite moist, in fact within the shade of the hedge, it was damp enough to stick to my hands, indicating that the downpours which occurred whilst I was on holiday (last weekend?) have certainly added some moisture. My waterbutts are telling a different story though ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 21:31:08 »
My toms are starting to wilt. The place will be turning into desert if we don't get proper rain.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 21:34:20 »
I was reckless today - went up about 12.15 and returned home 5.30.  Forgot the sunblock (slapped wrist) and was wearing shorts.  In fact the only protection I had all day was the chemical gloves and wellies when I was compost teaing against blight - and my hands still stick.  How so you get the stink out?  It takes a lot for me to burn which is why I can be complacent and can forget the sunblock when I do know better.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 11:07:59 »
Went to the lottie yesterday.. first time in about 2 weeks, due to illness/holidays/etc, so I was feeling ever so guilty and expecting everything to have wilted.

Imagine my surprise when the marrow/courgette/I-forget-what-it-was-precisely plant that last was a 10 inch weakling has turned into something 3 foot wide and covered with fruit. So I was able to harvest one of those weighing about 1kg. And my runner beans are very nearly producing..

I was very proud of my marrow-type-thing, although suspect we'll be eating it for weeks..

Melanie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal