Author Topic: My Waterbutt spilleth over!  (Read 4335 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: My Waterbutt spilleth over!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 21:52:32 »
Goodness we've had some rain at last, been raining here since 3:30, it's now coming up 9:00, we've had two torrential downpours, and 2 hailstorms, and I was out in alll of them!

I've 4 waterbutts at the moment, and they are all overflowing, but not much I can do, the garden is absolutely soaked and the ducks are swiming (without a pond) all this and the temperature is still about 25degrees!

Well, you did ask me to send you up some rain, Prink!!   ::)  It was a long while reaching you but that's Royal Mail for you.  ;)  Glad that your garden has had a good soak and that the ducks have been watered in.   ;D

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 15:06:49 »
We've had a lot of rain in Oxfordshire in the last week or so - amazingly - last week-end we had a full on tropical storm! - About 3 hours of torrential rain the like of which I've never seen - the first hour was accompanied by high winds that sent the sight screens at our cricket club cart-wheeling towards the M40! Within 10 minutes of the start of the rain the two pitches we have were under 2 inches of water!

Had more big rain a couple of nights ago - and the lotty is perking up nicely - sadly the weeds love it and they've suddenly started sprouting everywhere!

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 15:57:21 »
Still no rain here in Dundee, which is unusual. According to various nice weather people I should be getting soaked about now and have lots of thunder. No sign of either, I was supposed to have some yestrday and the day before but it didn't happen.
I am beginning to think they are just lying to me now. I think i will have to go out and do my rain dance.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 17:29:30 »
Tell me when you're ready Vez1  ;D - I'm at the other end of our island in Torbay and we've seen no measurable rainfall since 25/26 June!! So I'll go out and do the rain dance too, if my creaking bones will let me :P

Tricia

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:51 »
There are drops of wet stuff falling fromt he sky here, i am assuming this is what people call rain.Here's hoping it does more than tickle the ground.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 14:10:54 »
A few very short, sharp showers yesterday and this morning, but hardly enough to wet the paving, let alone the ground ::).

Tricia

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 16:11:03 »
Still raining here in sunny Swansea and has been all day. Very windy with it.
It always does rain heavily after I've remembered to feed the outside toms  or plant out some cuttings!
But it is also only 18 degrees.

Hope you all get more rain 'cos even my spuds don't want any more!
Jo

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 18:37:19 »
It's been drizzling a fair bit today, and the stream is trickling a bit. But everything's still very parched, it'll take a lot mre than this to make any difference.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 18:52:57 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yaaaaay! Loadsa rain! Beans and spuds will be lovin it!

;)

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:58 »
We've had a decent downpour or 2 now also............typically happened when we were out and couldn't get to any shelter lol

Here's hoping that the grass on the paddocks starts to make a comeback now, there's 4 hungry horses and a goat who are sick of eating hay (and I'm sick of paying for it!)

Although they did manage to get into the allotment again a couple of days back and have eaten most of the veggies :(
 :'( :'( :'(

Too late to start again this year so we'll have to be content with the beans they left and whatever we still have growing in the polytunnel.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 09:49:46 »
We were away last week but came home to stories of flash flooding, 'end-of-the-world-movie' skies and damp soil!!  Hoorah!!  A trip to the allotment yesterday found my water butt overflowing and the weeds just came up in my hand!  Desperate to get back there this morning and carry on the good work but it is very windy at home which means it will be hurricane force up on the plot - will hang on for a bit.   ::)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 15:53:58 »
For once, I'd find a flash flood a relief! It would keep my soil moist for several weeks to come. as it is, the stream runs on odd days, then dries up again. I suppose it's bringing the water table up, but everything's still dry at surface level. Soil is either like dust, where it was dug over last winter, or like concrete where it wasn't.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 16:07:38 »
For the past two days in the North East we have had torrential rain and gail force winds.  All of our waterbutts are also brimming over.  Yesterday, would you believe it was even really cold and we had to have our gasfire on in the evening.  Despite a dull start today however, the skies have cleared and we now have brilliant sunshine and are back to summer weather.  Everything at my plot is looking well drenched, so I expect it will look even more like a jungle in the next few days!  :-\ busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 18:47:26 »
 ;D

We had masses of rain here yesterday! Been to the plot today and the weeds have come out of the ground as if on springs! Beans happy, courgettes ecstatic, spuds looking much happier and me...hungry!!

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal