Author Topic: Fertilisers  (Read 2854 times)

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
Fertilisers
« on: March 29, 2004, 13:32:53 »
Please would someone explain to me what are the uses for these two items please: 1) Blood, fish & Bones, where and what do I apply them to. 2) Bone meal the question is the same as well. Thank you.

Yorkie

• Not So New ...
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes !!
Re:Fertilisers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 18:51:16 »
I thought that these types of fertiliser had gone to the big dustbin in the sky. Not that they didn't work mind.  ;D The Bone Meal provides Phosphorus but I've never been too sure what the others do. I would tend to go for fertilisers which give the proportions of Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus in the form 10:15:9 as an example.  ???

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 19:06:40 »
By `Blood, Fish & Bones` I take it that you refer to the compound fertilizer containing all three mixed together in one bag.  This is a `balanced` fertilizer containing nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus, and, despite what Yorkie appears to suggest, the proportions of these will be quite clearly stated on the bag.  Because it is derived entirely from living organisms it is an organic fertilizer, and can be used for most purposes where a balanced fertilizer is required.  However, because the bone constituent gives an alkaline reaction in the soil, it is better not used for calcifuges such as rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bone meal is simply finely ground (and heat treated) bones, usually in the form of a flour - also an organic fertilizer, which provides mainly phosphorus, but a little nitrogen.  It is usually applied before sowing or planting and worked into the soil, where it breaks down very slowly and will provide benefit for two or three years.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 19:07:52 by Hugh_Jones »

Yorkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 19:12:12 »
Hugh - I didn't suggest that the proportions were not mentioned on organic fertilisers - what I said was that I would go for a fertiliser which did give the proportions.  8) ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 19:13:41 by Yorkie »

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 19:18:24 »
Thank you very  much Yorkie and Hugh_Jones for taking the time to kindly explain what these fertilisers do. I now have a better understanding of them.

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 19:21:11 »
By the way Yorkie, what is 10, 15 & 9 sounds like quote from the pages from the bible.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 20:27:23 »
Isn't bfb the one normally used a week or so before sowing - or at any time before planting - and bonemeal almost always used as tree/shrub planting/long lasting/bottom of the hole type stuff? Sterilised or not - wash  your hands after using?

I'm a big bfb user - plus seaweed meal & foliar feed. = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 22:45:40 »
Bfb can be used either as a base dressing a few days before planting or sowing, or (with care) as a top dressing around established plants. Usual dosage 4oz per sq. yd as a base, or 2 ozs as a top dressing. I use it as both base and top dressing for potatoes, onions & leeks, and as base dressing for carrots and parsnips., as well as annual top dressing for the herbaceous borders.  It`s also perfectly good for lawns for those who don`t like inorganic fertilizers.

Bonemeal certainly for all shrubs and trees except calcifuges (for which it can be deadly), but I also use it well worked into the soil in the autumn where the following season`s onions carrots and parsnips are to go, as well as adding it periodically to the runner bean trench.

Yorkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 19:29:30 »
By the way Yorkie, what is 10, 15 & 9 sounds like quote from the pages from the bible.

Sorry to be a bit tardy in replying to your comment Xanadu - I have only just picked it up.

The numbers 10:15:9 are the proportions of each of the constituents which are Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. These are usually given in this order, and is shown as NPK on the packaging N being Nitrogen, P being Phosphorus and K being Potassium: all the usual chemical symbols. If you use, for instance "Miracle Grow" the soluble fertiliser, you will find that the NPK constituents are given as 15% Nitrogen, 30% Phosphorus and 15% Potassium. These don't add up to 100% because the chemicals, e.g. Ammonium Nitrate only contain a proportion of Nitrogen the rest being Hydrogen. There are also other chemicals besides the NPK ones which are supposed to be good for overall plant growth. The same thing applies to the other two constituents. Obviously, only the soluble bits of the chemicals go towards the percentage on "active" N,P & K.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit complex but fertilising plants isn't just a matter of treating with either organic or chemical fertilisers. If you want to go deeper then it would be a good idea to go into "Google" and search the information which is there.

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 12:48:30 »
Hello Yorkie, many thanks once again for your very kind explanation for the many ways I can use the fertilisers. Was trying to be funny and didn't mean to offend, with that remark. Friends again.

Yorkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 18:57:51 »
No offence taken Xanadu. We all have to start somewhere and with the introduction of the Internet and search engines like Google there is a wealth of information out there. It is worth chsing further info up. Good Luck  8) :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal