Produce > Non Edible Plants

Hops

(1/2) > >>

Hyacinth:
Non-edible, but make a fine brew (apparently! ;))...

But I'm thinking of their ornamental value. I want to replace the honeysuckle and rose I've got over the trellis and arch which separates part of the garden. What does anyone think of 'dwarf' hops? According to the Marshalls book, Primadonna and Diva grow to 6-9'..will they train over trellis? Do they die-back completely in the winter or act like honeysuckle & just lose their leaves? And are they quick-growing? I need something that will screen off one part of the garden from the rest during the summer - winter privacy's no issue, tho.

And, if not a hop, any other suggestions, please? - Lishka

teresa:
Hi Lishka,
Havent grown hops but I do have Chillian Glory Vine an evergreen climber, comes with yellow-red or orange flowers inch long tubes on mild winter will carry on flowering.
If you want some seeds I have all three colours your welcome. I have found second year from seeds they take off they have tendrils so no problem with climbing.
Teresa

Palustris:
Don't know about the dwarf hops, but the Golden one grows 30 feet in a season( high that is) and about 15 feet across, but only about a foot deep. Smell good cut and dried for Winter, but vigorous.

Hyacinth:
Thanks both.

Teresa I've already got Chilean Vine on the trellis, which I'll save, but it needs something more dense as a general cover, but thanks for the offer.

Think I'll go for the golden dwarf,perhaps. Eric, what about winter? Does it need cutting back to the ground? Thanks, Lish

Palustris:
If you like a tidy garden then you may cut it back in Autumn, but we just leave it to die back as it chooses and pull off the dry(ish) stemis in Spring. Hops are true herbaceous perennials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version