Author Topic: Ideas please  (Read 1340 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Ideas please
« on: July 22, 2006, 15:13:36 »
I'm hoping to raise some plants for a charity sale at the end of October. What would you suggest -from seed, division or cuttings- that I could do now or in the next couple of months, to have plants which look like something worth buying by that time?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Ideas please
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 15:26:13 »
Hi Caroline.  I'm sure more experienced gardeners will have lots of ideas but how about Lavender and Rosemary cuttings?  They won't be very big by October but they will have put on some growth and now is the ideal time to strike the cuttings.  The only other thing I can think of is is Autumn flowering bulbs such as crocus.  You could make up pots of 3 or 5 bulbs and maybe add some variegated ivy (also from cuttings which you could take now) for interest?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 17:43:34 »
Tricky one that, I'm going to sow some winter veg in cells to sell at the start of Sept, hardy lettuce, Claytonia, Chinese veg., Chicory.... but it might be too cold to allow transplnats to get established by the end of Oct..
 ???

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 20:12:18 »
hi Caroline. how about sweet william, winter pansies, carnations you should just get them to a nice size if sown now from seed.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 21:03:04 »
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. So far I've sown Sweet William. Stocks & Bellis, just because I had the seeds already. Waiting for it to cool down a bit before I take cuttings. Hadn't thought of bulbs- like that idea, too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal